Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 12 volt AC in a 6 volt car
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lowell Fast
See User information
Thanks,
I can see the blower would be a problem for they are such amp hogs.
Holding the clutch in with the 12 volts would not be a problem till the voltage drifted down to the 7.5 V area, when the friction problem you mentioned would be critical.
Could have a cutout at 8 or 9 v but you would lose your AC then.
I raised this issue again under the Subject becuse it seemed to die out with a whimper last August.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 15:50
39_120_Jr8_4dr
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Of course, you could also try to find and original Packard AC unit for your car. That might be a little harder though. Maybe you could get a repro if you could find one, too.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 17:16
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Stayed tuned....I may have a line on a aftermarket A/C company that can make 6v compressor clutches on special order. Need to get more info on it before I unleash the hounds.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lowell Fast
See User information
Will they also need to be positive ground?

Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:38
39_120_Jr8_4dr
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe it is indifferent to voltage, but most 6v cars are positive ground.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:39
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A clutch would be excellent if it works out! Keep us posted.

What about blower. Right now all I find is a single 1/4 shaft universal heater motor. Most aftermarket AC are dual 5/16 shaft & wheel so motor wouldn't work for them. Single shaft AC motors like those from Vintage and others are also 5/16 shaft, & a much bigger motor to drive the larger wheels.

At any rate, a clutch would be the first step and if that were available, am sure the other solutions would come.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed Howard. If anything it should work well in original systems where the clutchless compressor has gone kaput and is un-rebuildable.

I will check if this same company has also can do 6v blower units as well. If they had a complete 6v system, I am sure there would be a line to buy them. Well at least there would be for folks that live in the Southwest.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 22:12
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Funny, things like this are already figured out and in operation...

Very interesting.. I wouldn't be surprised if a few members of PI knew of the car and maybe the details and possibly have even read some of the posts on the subject here. Like many other things at PI, am equally not surprised if that's the case, there was no sharing.

The compressor with the 7.5v hold voltage was a subject of speculation that it would work but don't know if anyone here actually tried. The blower is another good question as to whether it was bought new or out of an older system. Were you able to get any detailed information?

Posted on: 2011/1/22 20:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Funny, things like this are already figured out and in operation...

Very interesting.. I wouldn't be surprised if a few members of PI knew of the car and maybe the details and possibly have even read some of the posts on the subject here. Like many other things at PI, am equally not surprised if that's the case, there was no sharing.

The compressor with the 7.5v hold voltage was a subject of speculation that it would work but don't know if anyone here actually tried. The blower is another good question as to whether it was bought new or out of an older system. Were you able to get any detailed information?

I was very excited to share some information found during a local PI club outing with others here on this forum. When I wrote "Funny, things like this are already figured out and in operation... I wouldn't of believed it if I hadn't seen it. Had to snap an image to share here. " I was only doing so because it really impressed me. Out of not wishing to have my post turned into bashing any individual or club, I respectfully deleted it and choose to not partake in the thread.

Jim

Posted on: 2011/1/22 21:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used to be a member and don't want to bash the club or members either because there are a lot of very good people there. That wasn't the intent on those people--more a post out of frustration with-----and I'll leave it at that.

At the same time, will say to those here as way of explanation that I can't help but remember how long that very subject has been discussed both here and on the AACA forum as well as some direct correspondence I've had with an individual who would have been in a position to have known. Yet in all that, not one word of anyone actually doing it only to find out it was done no telling when and doesn't appear to have been a secret.

And that's the last I'll say on the subject as well.

Posted on: 2011/1/22 21:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved