Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
48 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 47

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 12 volt AC in a 6 volt car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Well if someone has Eric's (turbopacman's) email, they should let him know what works. We went over just about every available option that might make this work, with a couple people now and again every 6 months or so, and it turned out the simplest one did: Hook up the 7.5v compressor and just hope it holds shut.

Posted on: 2011/1/22 22:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What 7.5 volt compressor???? is it something now offered by some parts supplier or from some other car????

Posted on: 2011/1/22 23:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Someone dug up info showing that the clutch on a standard sanden type compressor (that almost everything uses now.) Requires 7.5v to keep the clutch engaged, even though it's a 12v setup. They can be cheap from like 50-150 new on ebay. Just pay attention to where you'll need the ports to exit on your setup.

Posted on: 2011/1/22 23:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is a typical Sanden clutch spec. Would sure like to know if any issues with this and how much current draw at 6v.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.43 KB)
209_4d3bc26dcf0e7.jpg 565X206 px

Posted on: 2011/1/23 0:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. Thanks for the clarification.

However, using a 6v electrical system to power a 7.5v MINIMUM requiremnt accessory turns rite back to the same kind of potential problem that exists with using e-ignition for 6v systems.

Everything is just fine and works under optimal operating conditions and optimal electrical system condition. But remeber that as the ambient temperature rises (like under the hood near a hot engine on a hot day) around electrical components and they loose efficiency due to wear over 25k to 35k miles and time then the likely hood of at least intermittent failure rises dramatically.

Watching something run or perform in a parking lot or in a demonstration is one thing. Actual reasonable demand level is another.

I would be skeptical of a 7.5v minimum requirement accessory for a 6 volt system for any demands higher than subdued operation.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 7:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
well, given that it doesn't draw that much current (compared to the older AC clutches), or that much more than 6v, we also found a couple very promising step up converter candidates that we really thought would work properly. Also, i know some people run 8 volt batteries in 6 volt cars, but i don't know much about that.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 10:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I did email Eric and let him know that some good came of all of our theorizing, at least people have an option now.

"potential problem that exists with using e-ignition for 6v systems"

I had (have) generator issues and at one point my car (battery and generator hooked up) only had 2.5V of power, measured across the top of the battery posts. The car was near impossible to roll over, but when it did the pertronix still sparked and the car still ran, albeit roughly.

I would think on something as small as the pertronix that it really needs like 1.5V.

The clutch is a different story. You would think it would want every bit of that 12v, but i guess not.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 9:29
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Some where along the line in the past 3-4 months I have lost traction with the issue of why there is secrecy about the solution if this AC problem has been solved.
Do I need to go to the PI site or the AACA archieves to read about it?
This is the way the "Beating a dead horse" thread died last August.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:50
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think "reading about it" is the gist of why the discussion went into limbo. Don't believe there is any place to read about it. The subject had been discussed ad nauseum on several forums for years as to whether it could be done and if so, how. In all that time and to date, as far as I know there have been no other mentions of the car that has a working system & no information as to what was needed or done.

I know I was a bit miffed when first hearing of it, but on reflection, could be several reasons why no info -- maybe not entirely successful & working bugs out or maybe going to sell a kit so don't want to give details or maybe just figure everyone has to work out their own solution.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 0:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Howard,
I know talk and no action is frustrating. People today have little regard for the past efforts of the manufacturers to put AC in most every car today, Packard leading the way.
Packard handled this in 39 in cars and especially in ambulances.
The key I believe is in the clutch cut-out and I would hate to put a whole lot of brain and knuckle busting effort in something that has been solved or is not practical.

Lowell

Posted on: 2011/4/8 22:14
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved