Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 163

BigKev, Tom (Packin31), TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: V8 engine castings
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know what Packard actualy did in reality. But it is entirely reasonable to say that any forgings would have been done at the foundry(s) where the casting(s) were poured.

Other possible forgings: Some suspension parts such as steering knuckles, pitman arms, drive shaft ends, axle shafts and maybe a few internal transmission parts.

Also, rocker shaft perches mite be added to the forging list.

Also cyanide hardening (case hardening) would most likely been done at the time pouring. Such as rocker arms. I'm not a metalurgist. I'm not sure if cast iron can be cyanide hardened or not. ONE THING IS FOR SURE the rocker arms ARE harder than the front seat of hell to about 0.040" depth.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 17:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Downriver, i believe it was around the Wyandotte or Redford area there was a large general foundry located there by Jaque Levy (aka the Levy Brothers). They also owned a rather fly-by-nite very obsolete as station chain.

Quite possibly Packard used the Levy Bros. foundry as well as other manufacturers used Levy???? Maybe MrPB or Joel can expound/correct my claim on this.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 17:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
ECAnothony: Maybe you should read more of the Ward book. In April 1955 S-P's accountants estimated that in 1955 Packard would sell around 48,000 cars for the model run of 1955 and that, was well below the 60,000 units that Packard had budgeted for. The S&P accountants at that time also stated that Packard would lose $47.5 million for the year.

In 1955 Nance was told by the division's add agency that the number of dealers he had ( would be inadequate to successfully introduce the new 1957 line). This all happened in the early part of 1955. People like NANCE knew dang well in the first few months of 1955 that Packard was finished.

Packard not getting the loans you referred to didn't exactly cause the end of Packard as you stated, it was merely the final nail in Packard's coffin.

John S

Posted on: 2010/8/19 17:26
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Which reminds me. Oak gas stations (Oakland county (Mich) Gas and Oil (and batteries too)) handed out "Uncle Jakes Jams and Jellies" on fill ups of 10 galolons or more.

THis occured ca. 1958-1967. I still have several of each of the 2wo different styles of small jars that the jelly/jams were offered in. They are used to store standard parts in my shop.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 17:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think this has gone about as far as it can go until such time as some new facts can be uncovered. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 18:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Other possible forgings: Some suspension parts such as steering knuckles, pitman arms, drive shaft ends, axle shafts and maybe a few internal transmission parts. Also, rocker shaft perches mite be added to the forging list.

FWIW, drive shaft yokes were purchased from Borg Warner. Rocker shaft perches and rocker arms are castings. I don't have a T-U apart just now, but I don't remember any forged parts.

Again, most forgings were bought from outside suppliers. Since Packard was buying critical parts, including connecting rods from outside, why forge anything in house? Does anyone have certain knowledge of forgings being made in the Packard plant in 1955-56?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/19 18:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
JS - If Nance knew in early 1955 that Packard was finished, then he, and the entire styling and engineering divisions, would not have spent all that time during 1955-56, and all the money, preparing the all-new 1957s.

You -did- read issue #136 of the Packard Cormorant, didn't you? If not, I'd buy one of the back issues now that you are a NEW member of PAC. Welcome aboard!

BTW, it's "ad agency", not "add agency".

Posted on: 2010/8/19 19:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I have engines with these casting dates 3-26-56 4-13-56 5-3-56 6-11-56

Posted on: 2010/8/19 19:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
In the mid 50's Packard alone bought parts and services from 30,000 vendors.

EC Nance to me was like an old poker player that had a bad hand, who knew the end was near but tried bluffing his way though.

I would see no reason for buying that back issue as I already have a very complete history of Packard in my library from many different sources.

I guess I am a new member of PAC but have no intention of being a member after my membership expires next March.

John S

Posted on: 2010/8/19 21:15
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
In TPC #136 are several articles that were written especially for that issue, and were never before published -- also MANY photos and drawings from the original designers that were never before published. Do your "many different sources" have =those= photos and drawings? Nope.

I guess you don't care to see just what the never-built '57s were to look like. Shame.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 7:38
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved