Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 Clipper custom, torsion level not working, considering.....
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Hi guys, looking for some input. Been working on our 55 packard custom clipper and have it running and driving it. When there is no load in the rear, everything is fine. NO problem for local driving and driving to nearby shows. however, when we drive it long distance and have "stuff" loaded in the trunk and rear seats, is when we have an issue. Car bottoms out, and my front end goes way up! I'm not familiar with the torsion level system, so I have a lot of learning to do! I was replacing my waterpump and found that my front end has air shocks! I'm guessing they were put in. I found the inlet for it mounted in front of the radiator under the car and it works. However, no such thing for the rear.... Right now I do not have the funds to make a suspension restoration happen, ans as I said I'm not familiar with this type of system. I'm thinking of puttin in some air shock in the rear to help level the car when loaded for a long ride. Open to suggestions or comments. I like driving our packard, she's not a beauty queen but she's my girl! Look forward to your input.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 11:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Clipper custom, torsion level not working, considering.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The T-L suspension in your car may not require a complete and costly restoration. There are some simple checks and repairs that you may be able to make, once you familiarize yourself with the basics.

Preliminary info was released on these "all-new" models in the 1955 Serviceman's Training Book on The 55th Series Clipper-Packard Mechanical Changes and Torsion-Level Suspension, with about a third of that book devoted to the T-L system. The last couple of pages cover the compensator electrical system, including a wiring schematic.

Further detail on the T-L electrical system can be found, beginning on page 43, of Section VIII - Electrical of the 1955-1956 Packard Service Manual.

Articles and bulletins on latent issues and service techniques can be found through the Electrical section of this site's 1955-1956 Service Index.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 12:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Air shcoks anywhere on a TL car probably not a good idea.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Obvious question: is the T-L even turned on? Since you are unfamiliar with it, check the switch under the dash above your left knee left of the handbrake. The switch goes left and right. Left is OFF, right is ON.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/20 12:52
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
please look at my project blog. it is VERY informative for the TL system and the car is identical to yours.

CLICK HERE

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:49
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another possibility for non-functioning TL assuming it is electrically active, is the stop light switch. These switches are not long-lived, especially with silicone brake fluid but also with DOT3 or DOT4. I had just replaced the switch on mine before leaving for G-burg because the stop lights didn't go off when I took my foot off the pedal, and immediately after that the TL didn't function. The switch I installed was an NOS and I suspected the switch but the problem, which 70 year-old near-sighted guys can be especially prone, was that the rubber molded piece that holds the 3 wires in position was so deteriorated that one of the sockets just missed connecting with the pin.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you are not familiar with torsion level maybe some basic info is in order. Once you become familiar with how it works it becomes a lot easier to understand and to fix. Most faults can be found and repaired fairly cheaply.

You probably already know that a torsion bar is a type of spring in the form of a straight rod of spring steel that twists when the wheel hits a bump.

In the Packard system there are 2 long rods, one goes from the right front wheel to the left rear, and the other from the left front to the right rear.

In other words they criss cross. This does some interesting things. For a start, when one front wheel hits a bump it pushes up on that wheel and pushes down on the rear wheel on the opposite side. This braces the car for the impact and helps the car glide smoothly without rocking back and forth.

BUT since the springs are not tied down or anchored, the car is free to tip like a teeter totter. For instance a big load in the trunk will make the back go down and the front go up big time, even more than a regular car.

The solution to this was to put 2 more short torsion bars on the rear wheels, one on each. These were attached to an electric motor that automatically stiffens up the rear suspension when there is a big load on, and unwinds when you take it off.

So you can see if the automatic leveler is on the fritz you are in trouble. Probably this is why the previous owner put the air shocks on. Why he put them on the front is the big mystery because it makes no sense. Of course, if you understand how the system works it makes no sense to put air shocks on anywhere.

Now you see how something as simple as a loose wire can stop the system from working. So, get the service info and carefully check the system over. It may be easier to fix than you think.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 14:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
actually, they don't crisscross.

[quote]
Rusty O\'Toole wrote:

In the Packard system there are 2 long rods, one goes from the right front wheel to the left rear, and the other from the left front to the right rear.

In other words they criss cross. This does some interesting things. For a start, when one front wheel hits a bump it pushes up on that wheel and pushes down on the rear wheel on the opposite side. This braces the car for the impact and helps the car glide smoothly without rocking back and forth.

BUT since the springs are not tied down or anchored, the car is free to tip like a teeter totter. For instance a big load in the trunk will make the back go down and the front go up big time, even more than a regular car.

The solution to this was to put 2 more short torsion bars on the rear wheels, one on each. These were attached to an electric motor that automatically stiffens up the rear suspension when there is a big load on, and unwinds when you take it off.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 14:19
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The main torsion bars DO NOT CROSS!

See these pages for another explanation:

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/Panther/torsionLevel.html

Posted on: 2010/8/20 14:31
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Where were you guys when Coldcorona was getting set to put air shocks on his car and wondering how the TL worked?

Posted on: 2010/8/20 17:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved