Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

BigKev, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I like my car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I'm sure we probably all like our cars, but I feel compelled to say that I really like my Packard.

My day car is a 2000 Sebring convertible. I drive a 60 mile round trip every day to work in it. It's sporty, it's fun, and I love driving it. On the other hand it has a continual problem with rattles.

Tonight I drove my Packard up to the spray car wash, over to Autozone (right, try and buy an oil filter there!) and just up and down some roads for the pleasure of it.

My '49 rides smoother, doesn't rattle, and has almost ZERO road noise. It is truly a pleasure to drive.

When I was having gas tank rust trouble I used to worry about stop lights in high traffic areas. It wasn't unusual to have my engine die at embarrassing times. I had a moment tonight where I pulled up to a stop light and couldn't hear or feel my engine running. I put my head out of the window and stepped on the gas. It was fine... it was just quiet.

My wife hasn't ridden with me much since the time we had to push it off the road (rusty tank) a few years ago. I think I'm going to get her back out there and see what she thinks now.

I really like this car, and I am so thankful for this forum and the help that so many continually offer. Thank you so much.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 20:15
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Re: I like my car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
What a great post and pleasant surprise. No griping, no problem - just an observation about enjoying your Packard.
Thank you - I enjoy mine also.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Last night you could have seen a 56 Packup pulling the grade up South Mountain with a load of kayaks and bikes in the back. It was in the fast lane with Escal-aids and Pri-usses resceeding in the mirror like asteroids behind the Starship Enterprise. Temperature rose to almost a quarter way up the gage. Owner was grinning like an idiot only slightly concerned by the sucking sound coming from the gas tank.

Yup, there's a lot to like.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 23:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
This situation is familiar, especially the sucking sound coming from the gas tank - my 56 Clipper Ultramatic using
approx. 1 gallon/10 km (6,25 miles) when being a Starship.

Yes I like my car - but it`s expensive as gas is costing USD
8/gallon.

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/9/7 3:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I can't complain about gas mileage... I get 18 mpg or better in mine. Of course, I'm not hauling kayaks.

Posted on: 2010/9/10 14:16
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I had a chance to run the numbers on my logbook to discover that in "Starship Mode", I got 16 on that tankful, and on a more leisurely but still keep-up-with traffic run to the beach I got 17.4 over the last 3 tankfuls. She usually hits around 17 unless there's a lot of start and stop; Rocky, what are you doing to that poor thing!?

Posted on: 2010/9/10 19:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Seeing your mileage, I think the engine is due for an ignition and carb tune up. Since I wrote the message, I have discovered that 4 or 5 of the spark plugs were "finger tip" tightened i.e. very loose.
As I only have had 3 tankfulls since I bought the car,
the basis for the mileage might be shortcoming. In addition the engine has been idling for some time (when people admiring the car).

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/9/11 8:10
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
i have black color ford its shape is awesome and i like much my car

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I dislike much your spam.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
This post seems dejavu; I just got done rebuilding a 71 pontiac tempest with all the performance bells and whistles, i have a 2005 mustang, and the 50 packard and a 2008 trailblazer.

The tempest is fun but it's work to drive stick in such a lumpy performance car, and it's loud and honestly just exhausting after a whole day in it. The trailblazer is ok but it still rides like a truck sometimes.

The mustang is better but if you drive it how it wants to be driven (starship mode ;) ) it can lead to being just tired, and the suspension is stiff although you can make great interstate time with it.

When i drive the packard, it's quieter and smoother than the 2008 trailblazer! I couldn't hear it running after working on the pontiac non-stop all winter! You can drive that thing half asleep and it just takes care of everything! No annoying shifting (it's auto), brakes are smooth, acceleration is pretty much smooth and consistent. It's a 4000lb cradle whisking me to my destination!

Then i brought home an original all stock 67 tempest 4 door with a 2 speed 1 bbl 6 CYL OHC...it might as well be a Packard with radial tires instead of bias ply! quiet, smooth, and rides and handles just so well!

Goes to show, as much as we like to change what the factory has done to "improve it", or as smooth and great as new cars are supposed to be, they really don't make them like they did in the old days and it's hard to improve upon what factory engineers worked so hard at.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 9:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved