Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 194

humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, Ozstatman, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1930 733 Steering Sector Worm Gear and Shaft
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

Yesterday I took the opportunity of the storm to work in the garage on the steering gear box. Below are a series of photos of the sector worm gear and shaft. The first photo shows the entire part, with the arrows pointing to the corresponding areas of interest for the following photos.

My questions are:

Figure A) The arrow points at a break between the bronze of the gear teeth and the steel of the shaft. Is this normal, or did the original teeth break off and someone brazed on/welded on bronze replacement teeth?

The inset shows a close-up of the outer bearing seat. Do I need to worry about the grooves? They don't appear to have any raised edges.

Figure B) This shows the inner bearing seat. There are obvious pits and grooves. Is this enough damage that I need to worry? The seat is round and largely uniform in size (from front to back).

Figure C) The grooves that the steering arm (worm sector and steering shaft) slide onto change direction at the white dotted line. In the photo, they take about a 3-4? jog to the right. Is this just a machining artifact, or is this something I need to pay attention to (or to which I need to pay attention)?

As always, thanks tons,

Tom

[Edit] Sorry for the large images, but I felt detail was necessary. You need to click on the images to get the best resolution.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.66 KB)
333_4c87cdab3d739.jpg 1110X727 px

Posted on: 2010/9/8 12:53
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 733 Steering Sector Worm Gear and Shaft
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Figure A

Attach file:

jpg  (139.54 KB)
333_4c87ce22460db.jpg 1033X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/9/8 12:55
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Figure B

Attach file:

jpg  (115.76 KB)
333_4c87ce4cd1ef6.jpg 1081X1283 px

Posted on: 2010/9/8 12:56
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Figure C

Attach file:

jpg  (153.68 KB)
333_4c87ce6ebc44b.jpg 1276X1453 px

Posted on: 2010/9/8 12:57
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks like the shaft has twisted a bit.

Posted on: 2010/9/8 13:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, do you know the prior history of that car? Sure looks like it suffered thru a lot of really harsh abuse.

Posted on: 2010/9/8 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I know much of the history, but not all. The car was originally delivered to Fleigh Motors in Hagerstown, MD in Jan 1930. The fellow that bought it died shortly thereafter, and his widow had the car until her death in the late 50s. I am pretty sure she had a driver, as all the cigarette burns, receipts, lists, notes and coins got lost under the rear seat behind the driver. After her death, it went to a private museum in Hagerstown. I think it was then that it was given a new coat of paint (dark-ish metallic blue). It sat in the museum until the proprietors death in the late eighties. In 1992 it went to a private collector that was going to restore it. He never did anything with the car. In 2004 his neighbor, who had a fleet of 'classic car' taxis, purchased the car with the intent of fixing it up for hire. He ended up doing nothing with it. I then bought it and shipped it to Texas.

From talking with the previous owners, it appears to have been driven very little since the 50s. At some point the Bijur system stopped functioning, probably after it sat in a museum for 30 years without being touched. It was then driven. From bearing damage in the engine to torched spring shackles, nothing was really done to get it ready to drive after sitting. I then compounded the problem by driving it about 10 miles after I got it here.

The sheet metal and frame had essentially no rust. There is evidence of a small accident on the passenger side. It looks like someone backed over something that caught the running board support. The front right fender had a slight crease. No metal needed to be cut out and replaced on the body. All the wood is original and in perfect condition. Frame is completely straight. No evidence of replacement steering components. The king pins were solid and tight.

The 'lubricant' that was removed from the transmission, differential and steering box was like moist tar. The engine oil pan had a good 1/2 to 1" of sludge. All points that were Bijur lubricated showed excessive wear, and the Bijur tank was dry when I decided to check Most of the Bijur lines were seriously clogged with old oil (tar). The shocks were also frozen.

The engine compartment and underside were really really dirty, particularly the right side.

So, a very solid car that suffered greatly from lack of lube. But, truly, no accidental damage that I or my body guy can find besides those mentioned above.

BTW, the transmission was perfect (except bushings and bearings)! Dang they built those solid.

It would take a hell of a lot of force to twist that shaft and break those teeth (if that is what I am seeing). I just don't see any other evidence for that kind of impact.

Oh, and the frame, engine, and data plate and original owner's receipt all agree. The car was in it's original configuration before I started carefully tearing it apart. It even still had it's original optional blinds on all but the front window.

[EDIT]: Also, I really don't think the shaft twisted, as the bore through the shaft for lubrication is completely straight.

Posted on: 2010/9/8 13:44
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, thanks for the detailed response. Isn't it just great to have that kind of history with your car! I wish I could comment further on the issues you are facing but can't; I've only ever had one of these apart (from a 34) and it was pristine inside. I suspect lousy care (lubrication) is responsible for many of these problems and the worst other than no lube is using grease instead of oil. It was often done when an owner was too lazy or cheap to fix the packing at the bottom of the column which prevents the gear oil from leaking out into the headlight switch. But the grease of course channels and leaves the bare metal sliding surfaces unprotected. Your sector shaft may or may not have twisted, I don't know but suspect so (it would have cost a lot to machine it that way), but such damage can result from towing a car on the front wheels (rear lifted) and with the steering wheel locked or chained from rotating - this type of towing places terrific strain on the steering gear.

Posted on: 2010/9/8 15:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The shaft looks like the kind of twisting I have seen in an axle, or in the TL drive gear when it has be run past its limits.

Posted on: 2010/9/8 16:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
OK, so the shaft got twisted. I guess the conclusion is the teeth were also replaced?

I will start looking for a replacement, but I have a feeling it will take a while. Do folks think it will be OK to use this shaft until I find a replacement?

Thanks,

Thomas

Posted on: 2010/9/9 14:53
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved