Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 188

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Frozen piston
Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
Well I finally started to do some work on my 55 clipper engine. The number 7 piston is rusted fast in the bore. I tore down the engine this weekend and was able to remove all the other pistons. The crank has some serious rust/pitting on the main and rod journals. Anybody have any suggestions on removing the piston. I poured a can of coke in the cylinder on Sat and tried tapping on it yesterday evening with no luck. Here are some pics.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/9/13 9:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Frozen piston
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Sometimes in that situation, only a BFH (sledge hammer type) and BFP (steel punch) will get it out. In other words, you have to break up the aluminum piston to get it out. Try not to bang the cylinder wall, although the rust has probably messed it up pretty good already.

Of course, a cutting torch or cut-off wheel is an alternative.

Also, get it out through the top of the cylinder, not the bottom.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/13 11:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
Thanks Craig. I'm going to give it until this weekend and then start really beating on it.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 11:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Pour a mixture of ATF/diesel on it and let it sit for a couple of days. It may penetrate enough to loosen up the rust and let the piston break free. I would let this sit outside away from the house since it is a flammable mixture.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 13:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, we'll make a chemist out of you yet. Combustible, not flammable.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Take it to a shop that has a chemical tank for cleaning engines, most of those cleaners will eat away anything non-ferrous, leaving only the cast and steel parts.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THis is something that should be done BEFORE the engine is dissassembled.

Put hte head on with the old gasket. Put the crank back in. No need to torque the crank real tite.

Pour in some snake oil. Place 100 -150 PSI air pressure into the cylinder thru the spark plug hole. Keep the pressure on it for about 2 or 3 days it will break loose.

The OEM V8 pistons are rare as hens teeth. Try to save it. Use the compressed air trick outlined above. Works everytime for me.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 15:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There is another method that has been used with success on much older engines than yours.

Make a plate to bolt on the top of the cylinder. Drill a hole and put in a grease fitting. Fill the cylinder with oil or grease, bolt on the plate, and start pumping it full of grease from a grease gun. This will provide up to 3000 PSI of hydraulic pressure. Enough to push out any piston without damage.

Basically the same as the air pressure trick but more powerful. Try the air pressure first, if that does not work try the hydraulic pressure.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The problem with the pneumatic or hydraulic method is that it will not remove all pistons on all cylinders. On a Packard V-8 block, only #1 & #8 cylinders are completely open on the bottom. The other six are squeezed in on one side by the main webs. You need to remove those out of the top.

I like Eric's method (chemical tank) as a step before my brute force method. But, because of EPA rules, many automotive machine shops have gone to the furnace method of removing old rust/sludge/etc.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/13 16:43
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's been my experience that forcing a stuck piston down like the methods described here virtually ensures cylinder scoring from stuck rings.

Gentle persuasion and finesse wins over brute force every time.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 19:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved