Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 189

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

54 packard clipper transmission
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
I just baught my first packard!!!!! I have other old vehicles, but not "that" old. I need to know what fluid to put in the ultramatic tranny? Whats in there looks like engine oil, but didn't want to add anything til sure....PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted on: 2010/9/15 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 packard clipper transmission
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The original Ultramatic fluid was Type A which is NLA. Most folks today use Type F or Type FA which are thought to be most similar to Type A. Some folks use B&M TrickShift with good reports. Some of the Dexron/Mercon types have been thought to be responsible for problems, if it were me I'd avoid them and go with Type F.

If you're going to change the fluid, check the shop manual for instructions on how to also change the fluid which is retained in the torque converter, just dropping the pan drain will replace only a portion of the fluid. Fill from empty is 11-12 quarts.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 10:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
This is an awesome site!!! LOTS of info in one place, it's great....Thanks for your help & quick response.. Misty.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 10:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
Thaught I should show her off some....Thanks Again...Misty

Attach file:

jpg  (87.38 KB)
3051_4c90e9658d557.jpg 900X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/9/15 10:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Great car!! Welcome to the fold!

Posted on: 2010/9/15 12:34
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
Thanks!!! All my friends think I'm crazy... I'm only 35 and all 5 of my vehicles are older than me...60 chevy p.u, 64 chevy p.u (everyday driver),65 corvair, 69 beetle, now this 54 packard...CRAZY...but i would much rather drive the old & reliable....how many of the new cars will even be around to be classics?

Posted on: 2010/9/15 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
AND you're going to find it's easier and cheaper to fix. I replaced a waterpump in my '54 Clipper (I later sold it) in about a half hour costing $95 a few years ago. About the same time the waterpump in my wife's late model Cadillac went out and the dealer charged over $500...the engine had to be lifted off the engine mounts to get to it! MODERN stuff @#$&%.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 13:22
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
so true!!! I always say if I won a new car I would sell it & buy 4 old ones....Misty.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Well...old cars can be cheaper to fix, but you also have to remember poor fuel economy and lacking the safety features of modern cars. That has value too. I've had 3 modern cars so far that I have gotten over 200,000 miles out of before major repairs became necessary. I bought them all used so I would say I got my money's worth. Not sure my Packard would make it that many miles...

Posted on: 2010/9/15 14:37
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Whenever someone mentions poor fuel economy, lack of safety features, and low miles before a major rebuild, I have to mention initial purchase price + price to get it dependable + price to insure as a driver. You will, 99% of the time, come out ahead of the game compared to a brand new car. I'd rather drive an old car over a new one anyday, and everything that's considered "unsafe" or an "inconvenience" can be upgraded in the future. That includes disc brakes, a/c, power windows, etc. The only thing about modifications that burns my rear is people saying the original engines "aren't dependable", bull. I'd rather spend $4000 to rebuild the engine than to spend $10,000 or more on a new econobox.

As for fluid for an Ultramatic, if it's not leaking I'd highly recommend B&M TrickShift, it's expensive at $6.99 a quart, but it's well worth it for the way it helps the trans shifting points. If it leaks a little, go with Type F until you either get it re-sealed or rebuilt.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 16:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved