Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 247 248 249 (250) 251 252 253 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Al, thanks for the kind words.

Posted on: 2021/11/13 15:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Small amount of work today, at balmy 34f outside. So I let the car warm up to to and took the time to adjust the idle as it's always been a tad on the fast side. My volt meter has an RPM function so I am able to use it to get a base line. So I took it from 650 down to 475-500.

The next thing on the agenda was dealing with the finicky truck lock mechanism. Sometimes it doesn't want to lock, sometimes you turn the key and it doesn't want to open.

Over the years I've pulled it apart a couple of times, cleaned and lubed it with minor improvement. It probably is due to wear or something.

So rather then fight it anymore I decided to replace it with a NOS one that Joel had available. So removed the old one, decreased the shelf grime off the new one and sprayed it liberally with some dry lube. Back in the car and it now works like a Dickenson Orphan.

Also took the time to clean all the car show stuff (chairs, umbrellas, etc) out of the trunk so it could be vacuumed out. Also topped off the air in the spare tire.

A 20 min drive today was sure way more enjoyable. The car is far quieter with leading door seals replaced and all firewall holes sealed up with new grommets. Also far warmer in the winter with less air leaks.

I heard a bit of wind noise in the upper rear corner of the door, but a minor adjustment to the door strike plate to pull the door in closer when latched solved that issue. A strip or paper about 12" long and a 1" wide was useful in figuring out where the weatherstrip was not making as good of a seal. That upper corner was where I felt the least amount of resistance to pulling the paper through. After striker adjustment, I felt the same amount of resistance all along the top and trailing edge.

So small projects, but they all add up.

Posted on: 2021/11/13 16:12
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
This is a process that I learned from a auto body repairman on my T-100 pickup that had wind noise on the upper front section of the door. I have since used it on my 2500 GMC pickup.

Open the door and place a short piece of 2 by 4 between the door and the pillar where the latch is just below where the bottom of the window is so the door won't close. Then push (in your case) the upper rear section of the door while using a knee to hold the bottom section of the door tight against the 2x4 so as to slightly push in the top section of the door. This may take a bit of force just take it in increments.

Posted on: 2021/11/13 20:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Like a “Dickenson Orphan”…
Sounds like vintage birth control device.
Cheers Kevin!

Posted on: 2021/11/13 20:42
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Finally found some more carpet that matches the carpet that Ross made for me for my interior.

Home Depot, $40 for a 7' x 12' piece.

The shade is ever so slightly different if held over one another, but the fact I am going to use this for the trunk carpet, it will look indistinguishable.

Probably way more carpet than I will need for the trunk, but the roll at the store is 12" wide, so that measurement is locked in. So I figured 7' would give me plenty of extra in the event something needs to be replaced, or I screw up a cut while making it. I actually may go back and buy another piece of it and store it in the event the interior carpet ever needs to be replaced. Then at least I have some in reserve that I know matches the color and texture.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 9:32
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

AndrwS
See User information
Do you know if a standard pushbutton radio from a 1951-1952 would fit in a 1953 Patrician?

Posted on: 2022/5/20 15:12
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

AndrwS
See User information
Do you know if a standard pushbutton radio from a 1951-1952 would fit in a 1953 Patrician?

Posted on: 2022/5/20 15:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No need to post twice and also better to start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's but no, I do not believe they will. The dash was changed between '52 and '53 and the radio knob spacing changed with it. I have both a '51 and a '52 dash that I can compare to my 1954 but I'm pretty sure they are not interchangeable.

Posted on: 2022/5/20 15:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packardfan
See User information
Nice work on your Packard, from where you started to now, very nice!

Posted on: 2022/7/1 11:31
-Mike

1955 Packard 400

Top  Print 

Re: BigKev
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Clipper getting a wash up before a car show tomorrow.

Attach file:

jpg  20220702_093101.jpg (692.33 KB)
1_62c075e369b04.jpg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/7/2 11:44
-BigKev

Top  Print 
LoveWow (2)

« 1 ... 247 248 249 (250) 251 252 253 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved