Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 106

29tons, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 248 249 250 (251) 252 253 254 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Sweet! Kev... Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/7/2 14:02
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Re: BigKev
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Looking good Kevin.

Hope you are doing well

Posted on: 2022/7/2 18:51
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks, everyone. Doing good and treatment is proving effective.

Here are a couple of pictures from the car show yesterday. It was held at the Historic LaSalle St Auto Row, in Aurora, IL. This is a nearly forgotten 1-2 blocks of street, a few blocks off the main downtown area.

It was originally part of the Lincoln Hwy where it jogged North-South from one East-West street to another.

Starting around 1905, many small Auto Dealerships were built along these couple of blocks. While most of the buildings are either empty, being used for other businesses, or being used for storage, the building architecture has survived in very good shape. I was even able to locate the O.D. Lawson Packard Dealership which was located at 121-135 S. LaSalle St. Currently vacant, the building's front facade is very similar to other small Packard dealerships I have seen.

Some of the three-story buildings still have their original working auto-elevators to move cars to the 3rd floor for storage.

Enjoy!

Attach file:

jpeg  Show1.jpeg (332.89 KB)
1_62c3023f1b8b1.jpeg 1920X1081 px

jpeg  Show2.jpeg (298.96 KB)
1_62c3024f88dfc.jpeg 1920X1081 px

jpeg  DealerShip1.jpeg (281.71 KB)
1_62c3025bf19dc.jpeg 1920X1081 px

jpeg  Dealership2.jpeg (264.77 KB)
1_62c3026863cc1.jpeg 1600X900 px

Posted on: 2022/7/4 10:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The buildings on that street look awesome. It's impressive that they are in such good condition.

Love the sign you made for the car. I really need to look at doing something similar.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/7/4 10:46
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Back for Hershey after a 12 hour cannonball run drive home. Thanks to David and Bob for their hospitality!

Hershey started out wet and cold, next day was less wet and cold. Last day was dry, very sunny and warm. So for sure the weather affected attendance of both vendors and buyers.

A smattering of stuff I found at Hershey. A bag full of assorted trim clips, various Steele rubber parts for only a couple of dollars, wheel seals, a few scripts, some oil cans, the big Packard sign, a door clip, some license plates for a possible future to be discussed later project and some underwood decals I got for pennies. Also not some wood working tools. Ross was nice to bring me some stainless trim and I Pat Aldrich gave me a couple of washer coordinators when I paid him a visit on my way to Hershey.

Also, since we are in the area we have to buy Taylor Pork Roll. Very hard and expensive to get in the chicago area, buy plentiful the closer you get to the Philly area.

Attach file:

jpg  20221008_080052.jpg (338.19 KB)
1_634177669a911.jpg 1920X1081 px

jpg  20221005_145806.jpg (248.29 KB)
1_6341777496634.jpg 1755X1351 px

jpg  IMG_20221006_134831_908.jpg (193.92 KB)
1_634177801b7ae.jpg 1350X1350 px

jpg  IMG_20221006_134618_391.jpg (266.93 KB)
1_634177940ccd4.jpg 1351X1351 px

Posted on: 2022/10/8 8:14
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah Taylor ham is a must. If I had thought of it (and knew they sold it in Hershey) I would have grabbed some extras.

Posted on: 2022/10/8 13:02
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So trying to troubleshoot my Trico Mag-Numatic Washer pump, which I rebuilt back in 2009. It pumps, but it pumps anemically, but the bigger problem s that the coordinator never engages. I thought the problem was with the coordinator, but it is not, as I can get that to work if I put a vacuum on it separately.

So based on the letters in the picture below, here are the connections:

A) Engine Vacuum Source
B) Vaccum output on the solenoid
C) Vaccum input on the controller
D) Vaccum output on the controller for the coordinator
E) Water outlet for wiper jets

On the underside, there is a hose connection between the bottom of the pump and the bottom of the controller, which the fluid passes through.

I couldn't find and theory of operation on how the pump works. But this is what I am seeing.

With the car running and the washer button not pressed, I have a constant 20psi of vacuum on B.

When I press the washer button, the vacuum drops to zero on B and then comes back after the button is released. The water does start to flow from D, but not with much gusto.

Before, I was seeing vacuum being pulled on E when the button was pressed and released. I do not see that anymore. It's always at zero.

I was surprised that B always had a constant vacuum when not pressed, I would have thought that would have been only when the solenoid was active. But I confirmed this on another until as well.

I think that constant vacuum has something to do with keeping the liquid drawn up into the pump the against the spring pressure. Then when the solenoid cuts off the vacuum (when the button is pressed), the spring presses out the liquid through the hose on the bottom side and up through the controller and out to the jets.

So that I can understand.

But then I guess my next question is then, where is the source of the vacuum for E?

Is it being vacuum created on the backside of the piston by the spring pushing the fluid out?

Perhaps there is a seal leak in the piston/housing, and that is causing the weak fluid pressure and lack of vacuum behind the piston. I remember the housing had a crack in it, which I had glued, but perhaps that has failed.

Please let me know if the general theory of operation of the unit sounds correct.

There is very little info on how the pump actually functions.

Attach file:

jpg  Magnumatic.jpg (267.97 KB)
1_6345b40467753.jpg 1920X1512 px

Posted on: 2022/10/11 13:19
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not trying to ask a dumb question but did you verify that the large spring and piston boot in the bottom housing is intact?

Posted on: 2022/10/11 13:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I understand it, A is the vacuum source and vacuum is also connected thru a passage in that solenoid assy and passed thru to B and via the short hose to C. When the button is pushed the solenoid activates and vacuum is admitted to the large piston section to pull the piston up against the heavy spring. Never tested to see if the vacuum is temporarily blocked at B when the solenoid is active but at any rate, when the large vacuum side piston moves up it also sucks water up into the small piston side water chamber.

When the button is released, the solenoid again blocks vacuum to the large piston and at the same time readmits air so the spring can start to push the piston assy down and expel the water. Vacuum is again (or maybe still) present thru the hose at C.

As water starts to discharge thru the separate coordinator valve section it pushes against the bottom of a rubber diaphragm or valve assy before it exits at D and goes to the nozzles. As the rubber diaphragm is pushed up by the water from below it also causes a port in a section above the diaphragm to open and let the vacuum present at C pass thru to E and on to the coordinator. Vacuum then pulls the coordinator piston back against a spring and starts the motor.

As the water is exhausted from the small piston chamber, flow diminishes and the diaphragm is no longer held open so vacuum to the coordinator is stopped. With no vacuum the spring in the coordinator can push the piston back and stop the motor. The length of time this takes is controlled by how fast the air bleed screw on the end of the coordinator lets the piston move. As I recall, instructions say adjust for 3 or 4 wipes after the water stops and to be careful not to bottom the adjust screw if trying for more wipes because the bleed valve can be damaged and not function if you do.

Posted on: 2022/10/11 13:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok, that makes sense. So the pump pressure is weak, perhaps only about a 6" or less stream. Sometimes it just dribbles. So for just an issue with the ability for it to seal correctly.

Probably not enough pressure to work the diagram in the controller section.

If I take the lower part of the pump off,
then by hand, I can get it to suck up via the inlet and then forcefully expel via the outlet. So I think the vacuum section of the pump is leaking and not able to fully suck up enough fluid against the pressure of the spring. So it is either something in the seal/check valve between the top of the pump and the solenoid or it's leaking where the crack was in the upper housing.

Posted on: 2022/10/11 14:58
-BigKev

Top  Print 

« 1 ... 248 249 250 (251) 252 253 254 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved