Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

Ross, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: SpencerB's '54 Clipper Deluxe Sportster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the part you are asking about is listed under 11.0045 cradle group and is the cushions, upper to frame--part number 422328 and lower 437004. Steele lists that part for body cushion and also used for radiator cradle.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.22 KB)
209_4ca3f459beff8.jpg 520X275 px

Posted on: 2010/9/29 21:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
BigKev: It's interesting that they list the same kit for all '54 models, when there were 3 different bolt patterns, and at least two different drum sizes used.

Three different bolt patterns? I've only known of two, 5X4.5" and 5X5". What is the other one?

And I would think that having a 5X4.5" rear pattern and a 5X5" front pattern would be a PITA, to say the least.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 21:41
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eric, 4.75 x 5 is another one I have run across. The other think to watch out for is hub hole size.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 23:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's a Chevy truck and large car size, Packard never made that bolt pattern to my knowledge.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 14:02
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Spencer
See User information
I started on the engine compartment with the help of my friend Curt yesterday. Mocked up the new motor mounts, fixed the hole torched into the x-member for fuel pump clearance from the last bozo that was in here. (pic included) I used the Welder's Series part #WS2149 for motor mounts. So I ripped out the frame to engine insulator bracket to make room for the new frame brackets and tacked them in place after a thousand checks and rechecks. We didn't get finished with the gussets but i'll take some pictures when i get done. As far as fitting goes: The passenger side is cake; nothing in the way. But, the diver's side header needs to get notched slightly to keep far enough from the steering box. And if you go with an automatic, the column shifter linkage will be very close to the block.

Resized Image

Attach file:

jpg  (177.28 KB)
730_4ca8ee884d4bd.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/10/3 16:04
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Spencer
See User information
And thanks HH56, the book i was using didn't list that number at all.

By the way, I'm starting to put photos on Photo Bucket Here.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 16:08
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Spencer
See User information
So, today's update:

The frame has been stripped down, straightened, finish welded and repainted. The rear end was mounted and the lug pattern changed to fit the stock wheels. Next up is bolting in the front suspension and braking so I can put her down on all four tires again. Because of the weight difference from the engine/trans combo I'll be riding too high up front, almost at the upper control arm stop at full load. (load cells are super handy for this kind of thing). My solution is to cut out a smidge of the lower end of the coil and rebend the end to meet in it's socket so it'll be straight when replaced. I still need to change the pinion seal, fluid, crush sleeve and rear cover seal on the rearend. Before I prep the body for mating, I also need to rig up the parking brake system and open up the lug holes on the rear rotors to fit the new pattern and make the transmission mount.
I think I'm going to finish building and painting the engine after I get this customer bike out of the shop tomorrow morning.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/10/12 19:08
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Spencer
See User information
I've been delayed on the Packard for a while trying to get a friend's heli back to airworthy condition and moving my automotive shop as well. As a result, the engine build was postponed and I put the body on the frame for ease of transport.
I'm going to go with a different rear end than the camaro ten bolt I have because the tires would end up a little too far out for my liking. I may go with a first gen. camaro rear because it's 1.5"-2" narrower, but everything else in the drivetrain will still be third generation camaro down to the hyd. clutch.
By the way, if any of you guys are interested in my left over bits (toe board, btv, brake lines, fuel system, front brake assy's, rear axle, original wheels and so on) let me know. I'll help arrange shipping worldwide.
It's looking like a real car again! {sorta)

Attach file:

jpg  (29.15 KB)
730_4d21fbedb0c9e.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2011/1/3 11:40
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Spencer
See User information
Rear end update: I decided to keep the '89 10 bolt and just use some early '00's Ford Ranger wheels. The sidewall isn't too close to the fender well or fender skirts but the original Packard hubcaps I'm using might make it just a hair too close of a fit to jack up before you take the skirts off.
Since I'm keeping the 10 bolt I changed out the fluid and seals and got the rear rotors settled on the new bolt pattern.

A couple of side questions for you guys:

Have any of you found the body cushion 437004 between the overlap of the upper part of the front fenders and the body?
Is this a spot where it would be a good idea to place one?

I keep hearing about people doing a sbc swap like mine but I have only found pictures of one pre-war example. Does anyone have photos of a post-war example? Or know someone that has one?

Posted on: 2011/2/23 12:33
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved