Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1940 Packard 110 convertible... to buy or not to buy? That is the question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hi:

I am considering purchasing a 1940 110 convertible in kind of bad shape. Apparently it has a complete chassis, running engine, and sort of driveable (at least around the block). The problem is that it needs a lot of body work and it is missing a lot of parts, luckily not the convertible only parts (like top frame, top vacuum cilinders, window frames, seats), but the regular 110 parts (like exterior and interior handles, instruments, hubcaps, bumpers, carburator, generator, etc.)

I am not new to Packards, so I am not really afraid of the work needed and of finding the parts (though of course help would be appreciated).

So, I am interested in getting it, but before I do, I would like to know if it has it's correct engine. It is a Packard 6 cil engine, but would like to know if it is correct for the 1940 model year. Is it possible to know by it's engine number?

Engine number is C23992 and perhaps an additional 1 or 13 at the end (I can't really tell from the pic I have).

An additional question is: Is there something like an early and late thing in 1940? I ask because I have seen 1940 110 pictures with different hubcaps and different bumpers.

Thanks for any help,
Victor

Posted on: 2010/9/29 21:48
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Packard 110 convertible... to buy or not to buy? That is the question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Correct engine nr... after I called the owner, is:
C23992B

Thanks!
Victor

Posted on: 2010/9/29 21:54
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Packard 110 convertible... to buy or not to buy? That is the question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The correct engine numbers for a 1940 110 start at C1551 and end at C64111 so I think your engine is good for the year.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 21:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Of questionable importance today, but the suffix B indicates that the clutch assy was changed during production. B is a complete Borg & Beck unit rather than B&B plate only (suffix A) used after first revision. It is of different brand than the original unit listed in specs when production started (no suffix).

Posted on: 2010/9/29 22:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Victor, sounds like a great car to restore. The missing items you mention would not scare me away. Bottom line, the cost to restore a car is fairly consistent between closed and open. If the open car strikes your fancy, go for it.

Sounds like your question on the engine number is answered. There is a great deal of resource available here in P-Info.

As far as specific information on the 1940 Packard, you might consider obtaining the book PACKARD 1940 a pivotal year by James Hollingsworth. This is a must have for every 1940 owner.

Best of luck with the car!

Posted on: 2010/9/29 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Victor wrote: Hi: I am considering purchasing a 1940 110 convertible......Victor
G'day Victor,

If you do purchase the '40 110 Convertible Coupe, could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/9/30 6:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thank you all for your input. I am pretty excited about the idea of getting the car. There is, however, another small problem I just found out about. The cars papers do mention the engine number (matching) but not the serial number, and the car does not have it's plate on the cowl. Is it possible to find out what the serial number should be?

Any leads as to how to get the book "PACKARD 1940 a pivotal year" by James Hollingsworth?

Thanks again for all the help,
Victor

Posted on: 2010/9/30 11:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't understand why so many cars have the vehicle number (patent) plate missing, but once the plate is gone, it's nearly impossible to recover the true vehicle number. For a very small number of models and years, it's occasionally also found on the frame, but this is RARE. Your only hopes are probably (1) former owners, (2) old DMV records (and their usually don't exist), and (3) the roster keeper for one of the Packard clubs, assuming a prior owner ever registered it in the first place. Chances are slim to none.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Well... unfortunately this is going to be one more case of a car with unknown original serial number. The car has been in Mexico at least since the 60's, as the invoice it has prooves so, but it will be very difficult to trace it's history. The current owner bought it a couple of years ago from a mechanic, whose grandfather owned the car for several years... but I won't go into many details... mechanics down here, generally speaking, are a disaster! So, I don't count on finding anything, though I will try to visit the guy.

Anyhow, I commited to purchase the and made a down payment already. Here is one pic, and I will register the car. As you may see, it is a project, and I will be needing tons of parts and help.

Any leads on anybody having extra 110 parts or a car to part?

I will try to get James Hollingworth's book as it will surely proove invaluable to do the car correctly. I would not want to embark on a full restoration without the proper information!

Thanks,
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (181.54 KB)
1141_4ca504a33e534.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (151.14 KB)
1141_4ca504de7226e.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (213.91 KB)
1141_4ca505007bb63.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/9/30 16:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Victor,
for very quickly including your '40 One-Ten Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry. Particularly like the incentive offered your 16yo son in your story about the car!

Posted on: 2010/9/30 18:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved