Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

Joe, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

questions about possible purchase of a 1935 Packard?
Just popping in
Just popping in

rushboy99
See User information
hi new here
I am actually glad I stumbled across this websight. i am talking to family who has a 1935 Packard it is a 4 Door Sedan, Model 120, Series 4 with a Straight 8 engine.
I will be visiting to look at the car but really need some Ideas what to look for when I get there.

this was the email I received when I inquired.
As you can see the body is in pretty good condition. The interior needs complete restoration as far as all fabric goes (headliner, seats, dash, walls, floor) and the frame is of wood construction and some of that needs re-fabricating as well.
What is missing? The back seat, actually.
It will run with some coaxing - my husband and brother in laws drove it over to our storage area from where it was parked at my Father's place.

also is anyone able to give me an estimate on what its worth or if you dont feel comfortable on price maybe a don't go above a certain amount or its not worth it

hrm I cant seem to figure out how to post a picture yet I think I can do a link tho
1935 Packard

Attach file:

jpg  (200.45 KB)
3089_4ca54d991520a.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/9/30 22:17
 Top  Print   

Re: questions about possible purchase of a 1935 Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi,
I just joined today myself and seeing your post is kind of spooky. I grew up in Albany OR, and my first car was my grandmother's '35 Packard 120. It is amazing how much this Packard looks like mine. I really can't help but wonder if it actually is. By the way, when I sold it (I was pressured by my parents when I went away to college) I kept the hup caps and the piece that goes on the center of the bumpers that looks like a miniture Packard grille. The one I have was in the trunk - removed from the back bumper when my grandfather(?) put a trailer hitch on.
We used to get it serviced at Donahue Motors in Albany who was the local Studebaker and Packard Dealer. If you live in Oregon, you've probably seen the dealship owner's son: Mike Donahue of KOIN-TV 6 in Portland.
I for one would be real curious about whether you do buy the car.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/1 0:55
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

rushboy99
See User information
hrm when I talked to the lady who is selling it, she mentioned a large hitch on the back. not sure about the hubcaps I will ask her if she knows anything about the cars history when I see her. that sure would be weird tho,thanks for the reply.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 1:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Well, a big to both of you. Glad you found this site. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people here and will be glad to assist you in any questions you may have.
A nice fellow from the land of Oz will be along shortly asking you to register any Packard you purchase. You may also want to visithttp://www.packardclub.org/ which is another worthwhile site.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 1:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
It certainly was a big hitch on mine! I sold it in the early/mid 60's to two High School age guys. My parents handled the sale as I refused to have any part in it. As you can imagine this sale caused a rift that took some time to heal. Fast forwarding 40+ years, I was going through some papers from my parents house when I sold it. Among them was the original title to the Packard and some registration cards from 1952 & 1946. I pulled them out of the safe tonight and the Factory Number (VIN?)was 893X3956. The Motor Number was X4842. I think I have the license plate around here as well.
Let me know what you find out - I'm real curious.
I promise I won't try and swoop down on it. I'm actually tied up with a deal for a '55 Packard 400.

Good Luck,

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/1 2:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you for the welcome!
I'm actually dealing on a couple of Packards. One is the 400 I mentioned and the other is a '56 Patrician. I hope to get at least one. At any event I will be needing all the help I can get!
Thanks again,

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/1 2:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

rushboy99
See User information
anyone able to at least throw out some ideas on things to check I will be heading over to look at this in an hour

Posted on: 2010/10/1 15:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd especially check for completeness, 35 120 production was not large and parts unique to it might be hard to locate. Also I'd check for signs of any cracks in the engine block and any other abuse. 1935 120s aren't commonly seen and we'd all love to see another one return to life, a worthwhile project.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 15:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
O_D probably gives the best advice. I'm not up on that era so just rust and completeness would be all I could suggest.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I really wish I'd had this information 40 years ago - not that it would have made much difference to my parents. I second the motion for good luck on the "deal". As far as what to look for, I recall the windshield wipers were tricky. I had to keep pulling the switch up and down to keep them working. I'll hunt up the hubcaps should you get the car and need them. If it is my old Packard - it won't have any at least probably not the right ones. I still have the screw driver from the tool kit as well.
Anyway, good luck!

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/1 15:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved