Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

54 Clipper Deluxe Recommendation for Battery Brand
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
When to start the car this morning for a short drive to get some fresh gas in the car and turned the key to get no cranking. My headlights were bright, the radio and horn were fine so I thought it wasn't my battery. Anyway, I took the battery to NAPA and had it tested for free. The test came back that I only had 350 Cranking Amps and the battery was rated for 650. The machine recommended replacement rather than recharge. The good ol boy at the register looked at the price of his batterys (more than $100) and being very honest suggested that Tractor Supply might have some good prices on these 6 Volt Batterys since they sell alot of them for big tractors. So, here are my questions. Which brand would your recommend and secondly does it hurt to go with more Cranking Amps (lets say) 750 than what might be necessary? As always - thanks for opinions on this.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 13:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Clipper Deluxe Recommendation for Battery Brand
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as the larger capacity fits the tray and hold down, more is better. Lots of people have used and recommended the tractor supply companies. Don't know their brands but I wouldn't hesitate.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 14:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I bought a "Road Runner"battery from Mills Fleet and Farm in Fargo N.D. on my trip back from Roosevelt National Park a few weeks ago. The price was $69.95 with no trade in. I got the 3EH size rated at 1095 CA @ 32F and 925 CA @ 0F. I don't see any Fleet farm stores in NE but I suspect any decent tractor supply would be able to get you one. Also I know that Interstate Battery makes the 3EH battery size also but more expensive.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Just purchase a battery from TSC. There is not alot of choices for the long narrow battery~20inches long. Paid about $85 for it with exchange.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks All - My battery tray is approx 10 1/2 by 7 1/4. I like the 3EH but it wont fit in the tray (has alot of CA and CCAs). I've been to NAPA, Interstate and Sears today but they have nothing in stock given the low vol of sales and avg battery shelf life. Interstate did a second more comprehensive test where they put the battery under a "starting load" and they said the battery borderline but was not damaged. So I may simply put it under a trickle charge and see what happens. I've cleaned the terminals so if my problem is not the battery what are the chances its a starter? or the solenoid? thanks

Posted on: 2010/10/3 20:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you turned the key did the solenoid click at all? If so, but no action then probably solenoid. If motor tried to do something but basically just grunted then could be bat, sol or starter. If no clicks from solenoid at all, could be ign switch start contact. That is a common failure on the 54 key start. Another thing if no clicks and you have the Ultra is the neutral safety switch.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
No clicking sound and no cranking sound so it sounds like the ignition switch based on what your saying? How hard is this to fix? The same thing happened about a month ago but then with some jiggling of the key, it started? I don't know if jiggling the key helped or not but I think the problem has kicked in over a couple of starts.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 21:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is usually no repair other than replace the switch since they are not designed to be taken apart. The solenoid draws a lot of current and basically overloads and burns the contacts internally in the switch. Usually only the center starter contact but depending on if you have had to jiggle for any other functions then the wiper section which works the rest of switch may be ready to go.

The Packard switch is getting hard to come by so priced accordingly but one of those would allow you to transfer the key cylinder. Used ones are out there but may be no better than what you have. Unfortunately there is no aftermarket switch I know of that will be able to use the bezel and key. Lots of switches for reasonable price but all are universal and just have a screw on nut to hold in dash and their own key.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 21:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you wanted to prove the ign switch, then a temporary pushbutton could be installed in parallel to the start contact and hidden under the dash. Next time it failed just leave the key on and then push the button and see if any action.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks I think I found some pictures of the switch from Max. Now I have to verify this is in fact the problem and if so, how to install it. I was wondering if the coil could also be the problem? Appreciate the advice.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.23 KB)
1341_4ca940849b2e8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.57 KB)
1341_4ca9409bc5705.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.05 KB)
1341_4ca940b2f1a74.jpg 640X404 px

Posted on: 2010/10/3 21:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved