Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

JD in KC, 2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Motor from the Motto bodied 1953 Packard Clipper Carrera car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all. On the Moto bodied Packard I would sincerely doubt that the chassis was tubed. If myself and a friend can lift a 53 chassis without blowing the gusset in our shorts, you would realise that the Packard chassis is really very light. Having just sold my 1947 Daimler, almost three (Imperial 2240lbs) tons, I can attest to a heavy chassis. I dunno about the 4 inch narrower profile as the front and rear tyres appear to be closer to the guards, but this may be as a result of altered rims. The vehicle may have had alloy doors but I consider that at 5.3 litres and four carby's, the Packard was gaining it's performance from cubes not clever weight reduction. After all, Motor Racing is a very mind-set game, and if you can worry the opposition with a "huge weight reduction " statement, that may worry them enough to do something foolish to counter it. very interesting thread. best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/2/22 1:39
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eric, I thought you were going to make the intake and exhaust completely out of 2" Iron pipe elbows! Perhaps that was just my future project "PackRat" I had in mind, and not project MayFair!

Posted on: 2008/2/22 1:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Judging by the distance from the top of the fender to the wheel opening, 4" is believable. And after playing around with some pics I have of a stock Mayfair, I'm thinking that a 5" or even 6" section might be even better than the 4" that I had originally planned. I think the bigger section with the stock width will make it look low and lean. Can't say for sure yet, as I don't have the car right here in front of me.

Kevin, as for your "iron pipe elbows" idea, I'll have to pass on that plan. I do plan on making both the intake and exhaust out of steel tubing, if that counts!

Posted on: 2008/2/22 1:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have always wanted to make a Rat Rod out of an unrestorable Packard (aka Project PackRat) where the engine compartment would look like something out of the inside of a WWII German U-boat!

I guess I have always liked that Rat-Rod, MacGiver, A-Team style of building some crazy thing out of old plumbing parts. Some type of mad scientist meets Sanford and Son creation. Plus it needs lots of engine mounted old school gauges!

Posted on: 2008/2/22 1:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
KEVIN!!!! You rat rodder you!

Posted on: 2008/2/22 21:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
BigKev wrote:
I have always wanted to make a Rat Rod out of an unrestorable Packard (aka Project PackRat).......[/quote]

Kev,

This could be the "PackRat" on eBay now.

Rat Rod project 1929-30 Packard body

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rat-Rod-project-1929-30-Packard-body_W0QQitemZ320221094996QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320221094996[quote]

Attach file:

jpg  (20.00 KB)
226_47c108e812f49.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2008/2/24 1:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've decided that IF the Mayfair falls through, (which it now seems it might, the guy's being kinda shady lately) than I'll have a 327 with no home. So, in the spirit here, this is what I'd build in it's stead: (Notice it has my last name on the side of the cowl. I've done a little research on this car, and it's from the Boyle Valve Company)

Attach file:

jpg  (68.15 KB)
34_47c10d1e21b8f.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (72.08 KB)
34_47c10d2ddddcf.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/2/24 1:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved