Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

57 Packard Wagon on "Chasing Classic Cars"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Watched the most recent episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" and they featured a 1957 Packard Wagon which was purchased at an auction from a museum collection. The car had a total rotisserie restoration and then parked in the museum. The host of the show paid $45K and was into it for about $60k after fees and shipping etc.

About 9 months later, he decided to sell it at auction. He took it out of his storage facility and drove it to his shop. On the way there his brakes failed, pedal went to the floor. Luckily he was able to safely get the car stopped. They traced it to the Bendix and had it swapped out with a different rebuilt unit just in time to send it out for auction. He offered it with no reserve and ended up loosing money on the car.

I've been watching that show for a while. It seems like he never makes any money when he sells a car at an auction. He must make all his money as a consultant and restorer for his millionaire clientele.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 23:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 57 Packard Wagon on "Chasing Classic Cars"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:

About 9 months later, he decided to sell it at auction. He took it out of his storage facility and drove it to his shop. On the way there his brakes failed, pedal went to the floor. Luckily he was able to safely get the car stopped. They traced it to the Bendix and had it swapped out with a different rebuilt unit just in time to send it out for auction.

Imagine that. BUT, I wasn't aware that the '57-'58 Packards used a BTV. But I've been wrong before.

WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO COMPREHEND THAT ANY SINGLE LINE MASTER CYLINDER IS DANGEROUS???

The standard argument is "It worked just fine when it was new!" Or, "I've driven on a stock master cylinder for years and never have had a problem".

Well, I gots news fer ya, cars stop in 1/3 the distance they did 50 years ago, and drivers are a hell of a lot worse now than they were then. It's time for the universal application of common sense.

Ignorance, it's contagious.

Posted on: 2010/10/7 0:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the 57 Clipper used the Hydro-vac as many Studes had done and did till 64. Interesting it should fail as believe that is pretty much a conventional piston setup at both the master end and at the power unit. Don't think we can blame that on the BTV. Would more imagine either brake fluid or lack thereof and just plain sitting for a long time and nothing being checked before drive was more the cause.

Was this a lavender and white station wagon?

Posted on: 2010/10/7 11:18
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

MJCan
See User information
It was Lilac and Arctic White. I'm actually getting ready to paint a truck with those colors. I would have loved to have that car, would have been a nice daily.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

MJCan wrote:
I would have loved to have that car, would have been a nice daily.

Well, you could consider the one in the "Wagon engines" thread that lurks here in Minnesota. I know nothing other than where it's parked.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5436&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40

Posted on: 2011/4/27 22:32
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Keegan wrote:
It seems like he never makes any money when he sells a car at an auction.

Sounds like he buys high, spends money, and gets "upside down" on the car. Making money is probably not his goal. Not mine either, but I like to get a lot closer to breaking even!

Posted on: 2011/4/27 22:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
It was the brake unit Studebaker used not a Bendix Tredle Vac, He ordered a replacement from Studebaker International in Indiana. They showed the older mechanic working on the unit while it was attached to the firewall and it was not our beloved BTV. I really liked the car and colors, its too bad the car costs more than a top of the line 56 model hardtop.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 8:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Did anyone notice that this "all original car" was missing probably the most important part of a 57 Packard? It had no supercharger.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 5:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I missed that, and I watched that episode and the one where he sold it at auction.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 9:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Donald Keller
See User information
does anyone know who owns this wagon now?

Posted on: 2011/7/7 19:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved