Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 243

Packardbarry, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to interpret the serial nr?
Just popping in
Just popping in

mgfespoo
See User information
Could someone help me with how read the serial number. The car I am looking at has a serial 5452-4712. The first 4 digits are clear, but what does the next 4 tell me?

mgf

Posted on: 2010/10/9 3:28
 Top  Print   

Re: How to interpret the serial nr?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The last 4 numbers are the sequence in production. I believe 54th series cars started with 1001 but someone will correct me if wrong. If 1001 is correct, yours would be the 3711th 5452 or Patrician model.

EDIT: Another important number is the motor number stamped on the side of the block on left or drivers side rear and just above the starter motor in 54. If still the original engine, will start M6xxxxx for a 54 Patrician. In a lot of places that number was used for legal paperwork and also is how Packard kept track of some changes.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 9:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard is correct, also here is some additional information:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?397

Posted on: 2010/10/9 10:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

mgfespoo
See User information
Something is not correct. Howard says the car would be the 3711th Patrician for year -54. When I check in the model info it states that only 2760 pcs 5452 models where made. Would it be that the year 54 is staring with 2001 insted of 1001? Am I reading this wrong or is there a contradiction?

Another thing I wonder, is it possible to see the original paint and trim scheme for this model? On the "patent plates" on earlier model this was mentioned.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 15:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is very possible I am wrong with the 1001. In another thread some very knowledgeable people mention 51 and 53 production started with 2001 so with the total you mention, 54 would almost have to as well. With that late of car, if there is an Ultramatic, is it the original style or the gear start that was available late 54? Way to tell is the gearshift indicator is just PNHLR on original style but gear start has an extra position marked with a dot.

Usually the paint and upholstery code is on the door jamb tag or patent plate but 54 may have been one of the years where the door tag only has the body number. In that case, look at the back or side of the glove box drawer for a paper label glued on. If it is still there, the other info might be as well.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 16:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
1954 I believe the production values started at 2001, so your car would be 2711. Very late production run vehicle like my '54 Clipper.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 16:48
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

mgfespoo
See User information
Thanks a lot for your comments. This car has the PNHLR without the dot. Maybe this is due to the engine change which has been made. This car has the 1953 L6.. engine and not the original M6... Maybe the person that did the engine swap also switched to the Ultramatic which belongs to the engine. If he was a thorough man he also replaced the indicator on the column. Do you believe this makes sense? Would there have been a technical reason why also change the gearbox when changing engine?
In terms of functionality and reliability, do you see any difference between the original and the gear change unit?

Posted on: 2010/10/10 4:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It's possible the '54 Patrician production run was completed before the Gear Start was used. The Gear Start is really a prototype transmission to get some field time before the Twin Ultramatic was introduced in the 55 models.

Actually I don't ever remember coming across a '54 Senior with a Gear-Start. Perhaps these were only introduced on the Clipper models.

Unless the transmission was also faulty, there would have been no reason to switch it when going to a 1953 motor as the bell-housing and fitament is the same.

If your Standard Ultramatic is working fine, then dont worry about it. While the Gear-Start functions like a '55 Twin Ultra. It is a bit more finicky as it was basically a newer design, while the Standard Ultra already had 5 years in the field and had most of the bugs worked out of it.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 5:30
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved