Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 203

53pc, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Yet another question for Owen D
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Good point Dave. I will check that out. Another thing thats a bit odd take a look at my third picture which shows the operating arm. It appears to be a long way away from the lever compared to yours and is losing a lot of motion when you move the lever on the column.
T

Posted on: 2010/10/15 3:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good observation, Terry, and therein may be your problem. On my car the forward end of the link at the bottom of the steering column has a provision for length adjustment, assuming yours is the same see if you can shorten the length of the rod.

On my car the link from the cowl to the carburetor throttle valves has no adjustment, but if your does you might want to adjust that length as well. When you remove the clevis at the rear, the arm on the cowl should spring forward by the action of the coiled spring at the far end (by the hand throttle arm. Adjust to the shortest length which will allow the clevis to just enter the hole - this will give the maximum throttle stroke which you can check by holding the accelerator pedal to the carpet and then checking to make sure the carburetor throttle valves are fully open.

Attach file:

jpg  (153.65 KB)
177_4cb86b532d8cf.jpg 1500X1001 px

Posted on: 2010/10/15 8:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave,
I had time today to check out that clevis adjustment and as you correctly stated it was way off. I had to screw in the adjuster to it's maximum travel as the rod seems to be too long. I will take it off again at some stage to shorten the rod by increasing the bend in it, but for now everything is working fine.
Once again thanks for the help.
T

Posted on: 2010/10/23 9:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, glad you're getting there. The link arm has a pretty significant offset bend in it which not only helps align, but of course shortens the effective length. Perhaps yours has lost some of the offset bend?

Best,
Dave

Posted on: 2010/10/23 14:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved