Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

!941 180 "Inner Trim Rings"
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard41
See User information
Help!

My 1941 Packard 180 Limo is just about finished but I'm missing the 4 inner trim rings for the wheels.

Here's a picture of one. It fits just under the hubcap.

If you don't have all four, I'll take whatever you have.

(Note that Bill Hirsch only has the hubcaps and outer trim rings, not the inner trim rings.)

Meanwhile...the wife and I went up to Post Falls, Idaho to check out the car and DRIVE it. This is the first time it's been on the road since the 1960s! It's got the original paint and interior and the engine and transmission have not been touched. After forty plus years of sitting in an old garage it's been going through a "mechanical restoration" to make it roadworthy.

Here's a very short video of the car that my wife shot with her phone as we cruised around Coeur d'Alene. The car ran and handled beautifully thanks to Glenn Vaughn and his crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUxt444IUMQ

(Forgive the sound - I was enjoying the wonderful whisper quiet of the car, but my wife being a videographer, musician etc, couldn't take the silence and added the music)

Attach file:

jpg  (76.61 KB)
1575_4cb8fedf06202.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2010/10/15 20:29
 Top  Print   

Re: !941 180 "Inner Trim Rings"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Loved your video, and the tunes. My 1942 180 Limousine is at the restorer for a full frame-off, and hopefully will be roadworthy by this time next year.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 21:19
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Neal,

Went back and looked at your Owner Registry entry. Interesting history.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 21:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Packard41 wrote:
...If you don't have all four, I'll take whatever you have.

Sorry, I have just one and I'm looking for three more. I bought what I thought was a set of four off eBay but they turned out to be for a 15" wheel. These will be going back on eBay this Winter.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Hirsch had them for sale at Hershey this year. They were about $35 apiece. I didn't ask if he had them in stock, but he had them on the board with a price tag.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 9:44
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard41
See User information
West - thanks for the lead. I sent Bill a note and will see if he still has them. I'm hoping to find used ones so they'll match everything else on the car. If they're too perfect and shiny it'll look like a 95-year old woman with a botoxed face...'ya know it just doesn't match the rest...

I got a set of used hubcaps, 180 cloisonne and the outer trim rings from Max Merritt. We put the more worn and chipped ones on the passenger side so it looks like Mrs. McCormick's chauffer may have kissed the curb a few times.

Also worth checking out - John Ulrich gave me a tip to check out Bob Drake's Ford Parts. He has brand new inner chrome rings for 16" rims at $60 each.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.82 KB)
1575_4cbb740e2de6a.jpg 300X270 px

Posted on: 2010/10/17 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I have Ford outer trim rings on my car. I like them because they're ribbed, just like the inner trim rings, the running board molding, sidemount molding, and the belt-line molding. Everything is ribbed, why not the outer trim rings? It looks really nice, actually.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 12:33
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Packard41:

I have one inner ring left. It is as good as it gets without saying it is NOS. I thought I had a complete set of 4, but that is not the case. You can have this one for $35 plus the actual cost to ship.

Hirsch still does sell his new version, but they are $70 each. See:http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PACHUBCVR

Send me know if you are interested. It came from a 1941 (160) convertible sedan I restored several years ago.

Best, --Roger--

Posted on: 2010/10/18 18:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Are the Bob Drake hub covers shown here exactly the same as the Hirsch? If so, that is an interesting cross reference.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
From the photo by Bob Drake of the Ford inner ring they do not appear the same. Attached is a photo of an original ring.

Ford rings have narrower ribs and there too many of them. Parkard rings have wider ribs to match the ribs on the hub cap and there are only 3 ribs. For only $10 more (each) you can stay original and go with a correct copy from Hirsch.

If you only need one, then my offer still stands.

Best, --Roger--

Attach file:

jpg  (64.13 KB)
436_4cbd99f2178a0.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/10/19 8:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved