Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 102 103 104 (105) 106 107 108 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
SPLASHER PANS: We'll have the Duchess on the rack Tuesday for a lube and drive train fill check. We'll figure out how to modify the pans, and then they'll go to the body shop for repair, modification and paint.

BOOT: Scheduled for just after Halloween. Only a year behind intended completion. Covid.

LOCKING DOOR HANDLE: I bought this at Hershey without a lock. One was subsequently sent with keys (but no retaining screw), but I can't figure out how to install the lock into the handle. QUESTION What is the technique? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  LeftLockDH_web.jpg (96.51 KB)
1067_616c6b5dc7958.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2021/10/17 13:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can’t answer the question other than to say that it probably needs to be keyed first which you probably already know.

Posted on: 2021/10/17 13:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Don, I sort of figured that, but it won't go in. For what I paid, it definitely should not be defective.

Posted on: 2021/10/17 13:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
There are a few key pieces that need to be inside the handle to properly accept and retain the lock tumbler. if they are not installed it will not work.

Posted on: 2021/10/17 14:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I think everything is in there. The lock just won't slide into the handle. I know there's a 'trick' to it. Like to take it out, you have to stick a paper click in a tiny hole.

Posted on: 2021/10/17 15:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The tumblers need to be flush with the outside of the lock cylinder for it to be inserted which can only happen with the correct key in place. It won't work with the uncut keys in your photo.

Would suggest taking it to a locksmith and having the new cylinder fitted to your existing ignition key as was common practice by Packard.

Posted on: 2021/10/17 16:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, B
Great suggestion!

Posted on: 2021/10/17 17:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That is what I was trying to say! The key code should be stamped on the lock and it can be cut from that or you can have it re-keyed to March your other lock(s).

Posted on: 2021/10/17 18:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
FRONT BRAKES: My front brake linings were worn thin, so I ordered new shoes for my 1803 Super 8 160.
Yesterday, they arrived, and with the help of my car buddy Chuck McDonald, we removed the old shoes.

The front brakes that have been on my car for as long as I can remember (at least, 1980) turn out to be smaller than they should be. That is the drum is 2" wide, instead of 2-3/16 wide. The old shoes are 1-3/4" wide and the new correct shoes are 2" wide. So I've been driving with front drum brakes that are smaller than they should be. Pehaps they are from a 120. So, naturally, I want to restore the front brake system to the correct specs for the Duchess.

I have 3 problems with the current brake drums.
1. The drums are 2" wide instead of 2-3/16 as mentioned.
2. From decades of attaching the front wheels with air tools, the holes of my wheels were enlarged and the heads of the bolts were reduced to the point where the wheel could slip off with stress, like turning the wheel against the curb on a hill in parking. To solve this, my son John made studs from what I call 7/8" all-thread because it takes nuts that need a 7/8" wrench. He cut new 7/8" threads in the hub and welded them on the back side of the hub. Then we used 7/8" nuts to hold the wheel. These have been on the car for 10 years of driving, maybe 40,000 miles.
3. The drums are scored and would need to be turned. If they are anything like the rear, which have been replaced with much newer drums because they were too thin to legally turn, the front are probably the same.

So I don't think my drums are good for anyone else.

PARTS BOOK. I really struggle with Packard documentation. I know, I've said that before. Unless you're a seasoned mechanic, trying to figure out how to do something using the manuals for me is a challenge. Jaguar documentation takes you screw by screw, piece by piece. I can't even find a part number for some Packard items. I know they are there.

BRAKE SUPPORT ASSEMBLY for 1803-1806, 1903-1906 is #351480 Bendix. It appears this part works for the left and right sides, though the brakes for some other models have a left and a right side, and some are Packard brand, not Bendix.

BRAKE SHOES for 1803-1806 1903-1906 are #351651, 2" wide x 3/16" deep x 11-1/2" long primary (forward?) and 13" long secondary (rearward?)

FRONT BRAKE DRUMS for the 1803-1806 1903-1906 are #351422. 2-3/16" wide.

The stock BOLTS are #338811, but I might not be able to use them because the heads may be too small for the holes in my wheels. I put stock bolts on the rear drums, which wheels get rotated every 5K miles, but there is little lateral stress in the rear.

What I would do this time is get what I call 7/8" bolts because the heads would be that size, in place of the stock bolts with 3/4" heads. Cut the thread to the smaller stock size and leave the oversized head to hold the front wheel securely. If you have a better idea, please chime in.

THEN THE FUN BEGINS: To restore the front brakes to original, I need to
1. Identify the existing BRAKE SUPPORT ASSEMBLY, what people call the Backing Plate, to make sure it's correct and will work with the stock drums.
2. Use the new correct shoes I have.
3. Order new stock front brake drums.
4. Figure out if what I call the Spindle will also have to be replaced. But of course, I cannot find the "spindle" in the Parts Book.

Hey, I know it's there, but I looked under steering, brakes, wheels and my pea brain cannot find an illustration for it, a listing for it and therefore a number for it. It is so frustrating for me. (I know there is a diagram of the brake system with parts sections identified and a cut-away with parts sections identified, but both are for the REAR brakes, nothing for the front.)

I'm hoping that the "spindle" is the same for 2" wide brake drums and 2-3/16" brake drums, but with my luck... I'm going to take the wheel and drum off again today to try to find a number of the Backing Plate. I will also measure the inside diameter of the brake drum and the hub hole. I'll post those and some pictures.

If you have some wisdom to share about front brakes, please do so. If you can tell me the Kosher Name and point me Section of the Parts Book '35-'41 where the "front spindle" is listed, God bless you.

Posted on: 2022/4/12 9:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The easiest way is to look at the plates, then search on the group number. The front spindle and that sort of thing will be on the suspension plate. Maybe this?

Posted on: 2022/4/12 10:59
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 102 103 104 (105) 106 107 108 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved