Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
First let me say that I don't know jack squat about prewar Packards, but that diagram from the MOTOR manual sure caught my eye. In looking over Packardinfo's collection of Packard Service Letters and Counselors (in preparation for compiling content for a 1941-47 Clipper Service Index), I found that same basic diagram in three articles:

1) SL Vol. 15, No. 12 , in an article on noisy tappets in the 18th-19th Series Super 8, which advises of retrofit to new plumbing as used on 20th Series. I suspect the diagram and text from this article is what the MOTOR manual used.

2) SL Vol. 15, No. 19, in an article that revisits the subject of noisy tappets in the 18th-19th Series Super 8, which adds a precaution regarding the filter outlet elbow restriction/orifice.

3) SL Vol. 17, No. 16, in an article on hydraulic tappets in the Super 8, which reviews the oil delivery of the 18th-19th Series, as originally produced, versus the 20th Series and reiterates the retrofit and proper dimension for the filter restriction.

Hope these additional articles provide some further insight.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Brian. Yes, that article is on page 57 of the Motor section of the service manual. Thanks for compiling info. A big job, but very helpful.

Tonight I also reacquainted myself with the wiring and linkage in preparation for starting up the motor.

Joe

Posted on: 2010/12/29 1:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, since you are running a 22nd or 23rd series 356 the fixes for the 18th and 19th series oiling problems may not be correct for your engine. Perhaps all the accessories and plumbing was transferred from the original engine to this one. My 21st series 356 does not have your filter-lifter-gauge plumbing. Somewhere on this site is a photo of the fitting to which I am referring. I'll try and find it and get it on this thread.

(0{I}o)

Joe found photos. Also go to Oil Line Restricter discussion thread for the "full story".

Attach file:

jpg  (14.37 KB)
565_4d1b53e3c1f5e.jpg 500X373 px

jpg  (19.48 KB)
565_4d1b540d94140.jpg 500X373 px

Posted on: 2010/12/29 10:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Just to be fair, that's a pic of my 53 327 BEFORE i did anything to it. It's prettier now

Also, inside the oil filter canister itself, in the center tube coming up, is a small hole. I believe that since that hole is even smaller, that it causes more pressure build up than the restrictor on the oil filter size of the T. On the lifter side, the restrictor hole in the T seems to be the ONLY restriction.

Here is the modified setup now to add an oil pressure gauge under the hood. Also, the sexy factor of the engine has been increased tenfold. And these pics don't even show the chrome head nut covers (Which work excellent)

Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/12/29 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
JW,
Unfortunately the original engine is gone, removed and replaced with a 120 engine in 1966. In the early 70s I got this 356 from a later model. Packards friends at the time said it was the same as a '40. Same has levels of meaning.
I found the oil filler tube and cap at a swap meet completely rusted together, but recognized them from the original. The water spout (cylinder ventilator outlet) was another item because the one on the engine pointed to the side instead of straight ahead. The coil managed to stay with the car because the ignition is hard wired to it.

I'd be interested in seeing that illustration, or just a picture of your '42 engine oil plumbing. It appears from the Service notes that the problem was solved on the '41s somehow. The thing is, if the setup I have, which is right for an updated '40 356 needing reduced tappet noise according to the Service manual notes above, accomplishes the same effect as the '41 or '42 fitting, then I think I will leave it.

I may change my mind once I get the engine running again.

Happy Birthday to me,
Joe

Posted on: 2010/12/29 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Cortcomp and JW
Guys, those set ups are WAY too neat. hoho
And what's that vertical disc in the line?
I have an inkling that we drilled out the hole in one of those connectors.
I have to go back and read the instructions which I can't do from here.
Have you every lived in a place with not enough outlets? What we did would look normal, if you had.
Joe

Posted on: 2010/12/29 11:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
That vertical disc is the vacuum advance for the distributor...while it looks like it's inline with the oil setup, it's actually slightly above it. One side is the mechanical connection to the distributor and the other is the vacuum source to operate it.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe,

My filter-gauge-lifter plumbing looks just like the one in cortcomp's first photo. The one before the under the hood gauge set up.

The important thing to keep in mind is that the purpose of all this oil pressure and flow management is to not decrease the flow and pressure to the crankshaft for main and rod bearing lubrication. The oil filter is a by-pass type and there must be restriction in the pressure line feeding it. Also, the feed to the lifters is restricted. As was pointed out to me, this maintains pressure to the lifters and still an adequate supply of oil flow. The lifters do not require much oil flow.

It will only take a few minutes to look at the fittings and determine if they are the proper kind.

Regards.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/29 11:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since you have a later engine, am also thinking the low oil pressure cures for 18 & 19th series tried by the filter plumbing and replumbing was taken care of by the removal of the jiggle pin and rework as detailed in SC Vol 20 #1.

If so, then possibly the actual filter plumbing is not as big an issue with that engine -- providing the proper later flow restriction is in place somewhere but not duplicated -- and looking correct for the year like you have done is more important.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 12:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Howard.
I haven't been able to access or download Service (L or C?) files from the links Brian provided above. I can see that they are in an SC folder, but my browser can't find the page.

What I have at home is a multiyear book of service letters. (I put it out, then forgot to put it in the car,so don't have it at work.) However, judging by the greasy fingermarks on Motor section Page 55 of my book, this is the page we followed, a 1941 letter on Noisy Tappets on 18 and 19 series cars; not page 57, as I originally thought. Page 55 has the same illustration as 57, but the drilling is on the oil filter fixture. Page 57 has drilling into the block for the crankcase nipple. Since this is a later engine it probably had a hole with a plug that we could remove and the nipple for the crankcase without drilling.

All my gauges have been restored by Bruce Abbott. The oil pressure reading and the lack of clicking noises will set my mind at ease over this.

I am reading the oil pressure restriction thread. I'll "get" it.
Joe

Posted on: 2010/12/29 14:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved