Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'40 120 fender bolts
Just popping in
Just popping in

John T. Blair
See User information
I'm working on my dad's '40 Packard 120 Coupe. When we took the front fenders off the car, the nuts & bolts that connected the top of the fender and the top of the inner fender panel were about #10 x 1/2" flat head bolts. That just didn't look correct to me. So now that I'm trying to put the fenders back on, I'm trying to figure out what the bolts are supposed to be and what type heads they should have.

I measured the holes in the inner fender panel, and they are large enough for 1/4" bolts to fit. But the holes in the fender are just smaller than 1/4".

I've tried to look at some other local cars, but none are the coupes. So their hood and fenders are slightly different.

Each side of our hood consists of 2 pieces which fold along the length of the hood.

Can someone check their car, and let me know what type and size bolt, nut, and washer should be used to hold the fender to the inner panel.

TIA

John

Posted on: 2010/10/21 15:26
Joh
 Top  Print   

Re: '40 120 fender bolts
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
They should be flat-head screws. I'll try to get a picture to you asap.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 16:59
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

John T. Blair
See User information
West,

Outstanding, thanks!!! When you take the pictures, can you
measure (mic) the bolt size.

John

Posted on: 2010/10/22 0:56
Joh
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
jblair wrote: I'm working on my dad's '40 Packard 120 Coupe.
John,
to you, your Dad and his '40 to PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 2:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
John
I went back and read your thread, and got confused about different body styles having different panels. That shouldn't be. There will be a difference between Series, i.e. 180/160 and 120/110, but otherwise the "splashers", hood and fenders should be the same between body styles (someone inform me if I'm wrong), with the exception of Darrins and perhaps a few other radical custom cars. In any event, all the bolts should be the same.

Sorry about the quality of these pictures. They really suck. The dimensions appear to be about 5/8ths inch long, and 3/16 inch wide threads. I think for correct measurements, follow HH56's directions below.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.68 KB)
404_4cc19aa422c11.jpg 720X488 px

jpg  (90.39 KB)
404_4cc19b2d20e46.jpg 720X549 px

Posted on: 2010/10/22 6:30
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When West gets your pictures, if you will also look in the 35-41 parts manual, fenders and runningboards sect 7, there are part and group numbers for the screws used on the various models and splashers. In the Utility section 50, under the group numbers there are descriptions, drawings, and dimensions given for most of the screws used in a Packard. The part number will give the actual dimension of a particular screw.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 8:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

John T. Blair
See User information
West,

Thanks so much for the pictures and info!!!! Exactly what I needed.

Sorry I confused you about looking at other Packards. I'm not up on all the different models, etc. But there is a 41 or 42 locally. However it has a straight 6 and if I remember 4 doors. Its' hood is only 2 sections, 1 on each side. Where as dad's hood is 4 pieces, 2 on each side. The horizontal piece, is hinged to the vertical piece.

When I looked at the other local Packard with the 2 piece hood, I didn't pay much attention to how the inner fender panel bolted to the fender as they were entirely different.

No need to worry about the head of the bolts hitting the hood, etc.

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a flat washer under
the head of the screw.

HH56

I sort of looked in the manual. I had trouble finding the inner fender panel and I didn't see a picture of the one we had. So there were lots of different bolts listed. Also trying to look up the bolts, isn't easy since the don't have a listing in part number order.

Maybe I need more time looking through the manual to get a better handle on looking things up.

I had asked if someone had written up a list of nut & bolts used in the car on another Packard list. I was informed that they were all listed in the parts manual.

I really wish we'd started the list when we took dad's car apart. When I disassembled my Morgan and Bricklin, I created a list based on bolt size. Under each bolt size I listed how many were required for a specific function, like
holding the fender to the body. etc. (seehttp://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/mhardware/art008_1.html)

But it didn't happen, so now I'm having to do things the hard way. :)

Thanks again to all those that have offered up info on
these bolts.

John

Posted on: 2010/10/22 10:36
Joh
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
There's really no need for a washer on that side of the panel. The hole is really only as big as the thread, and the head of the bolt is plenty wide enough. If the hole on your panel has been enlarged, you may want to use a washer, but it won't look right. I'd sooner go with a little larger flathead bolt.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 10:48
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A digital camera and zip-locks bags are a godsend when taking a car apart. I would have been 'screwed' if I didn't do that.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 12:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved