Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 144

BigKev, bkazmer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trunk Jack
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What do you guys use as a trunk jack for your Packards? I need to find a jack to keep in the trunk, and want to find a jack that will have a good square engagement on the framerail. I suppose something like a scissor jack with a good saddle on it.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 2:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Trunk Jack
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, I carry the factory bumper jack in my 56 just for show, and usually carry a small rolling hydraulic frame jack, but if I could come across a good compact but well-made scissor jack, that would be my preference if for no other reason than compact size. The hydraulic bottle jacks generally have too high a profile even when fully lowered to be useful.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 7:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I throw this in the back, but it's a little bit overkill. 7,000-pound lifting capacity, and weighs 100 pounds. But when I had a flat tire on the Glidden Tour a couple of years ago, I impressed several people with my no-nonsense approach to lifting the car!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (111.99 KB)
404_4cc2eaa7503a0.jpg 1080X720 px

Posted on: 2010/10/23 9:01
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have a small "portable" floor jack also but this electric scissor jackhttp://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1752 with an optional impact wrench is interesting now that I am getting old and decrepit. Too bad it is only 12v. Amazon also carries it and has 4 good reviews there.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 9:18
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

bingster
See User information
I thought I was the only one who used a little floor jack. Looks like I'm in good company. My 2472 was missing a jack when I bought it, so I used a bottle jack I had, but the car rolled off of it a couple times. I then went through a couple scissor jacks, one old, one new. Both wound up breaking under the weight of the car. Out of exasperation, I bought the small floor jack, and I've been very, very pleased with it. It does take up a little space in the trunk, but it works better than anything else.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 16:37
Darrin ~ 2472
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I have a neat compact floor jack that comes in a nice canvas carry bag. Only used it once and it is great. I got it as a Christmas gift so I don't know where it was bought from.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 18:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Owen,

Would you please post a picture on what a Packard jack looks like when it is properly secured into the trunk of a 55-56 Packard.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 19:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The jack and tools were provided in a corrugated box as shown, and simply stored in the trunk. Most folks put the box on the hump over the rear axle behind the rear seat. I believe the box also contained the front license plate bracket when the vehicle was sold into states that required a front plate. This photo from the Reedy/Shaub book and used with permission.

Perhaps the style of the box changed between 55 and 56, or perhaps there were simply two styles, here's an original from a 1956, slightly different corrugated style.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.06 KB)
177_4cc384c6bf4c8.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (154.27 KB)
177_4cc385fe88d18.jpg 1195X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/10/23 20:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
If I get a flat on the road I use my gold AAA card and a cell phone.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 20:51
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Owen,

Thanks much. Your pictures have made me realize that I DO have an original Packard jack! Please, what is the item that is inside the center of the box? The item that is black in color and it appears to have a silver colored cross member?

56 jack reedy.jpg

Posted on: 2010/10/23 21:33
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved