Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

DESIGN IMITATION?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Is it just me, or is there a strong design similarity among the late 55's Rolls Royce Silver Cloud and the Bently S-Types, and the original Clippers of the '40's? They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery!

Attach file:

jpg  (32.53 KB)
564_4cc4fd4f439ec.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (10.30 KB)
564_4cc4fd6b6623b.jpg 250X167 px

jpg  (31.56 KB)
564_4cc4fd8193e83.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2010/10/24 22:46
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Re: DESIGN IMITATION?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Take a look at these Post War Packard Clipper Concept drawings. They look very much like RR and Bentley designs.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/search.php?query=Post+Clipper+Concept&mid=6&action=showall&andor=exact

Not so much Number 1, but 2 thru 7 are all different variations that show alot of the same influence.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 22:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They might look a little bit alike, but I think all car mfgs copied bits and pieces--and some maybe even more than a bit. There was a discussion some time back on cars both here in US and in Europe that were very similar & had features close enough from another car that you had to look twice.

On the concept drawings, it mentions the artist that did them came over from Sweden in 47. Didn't RR use an outside body builder just like Packard then? Hooper, Mulliner and others, I believe. Maybe he saw or had access to some of those ideas.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 23:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
BigKev, those drawings are incredible! The design artist(s) at Rolls HAD to have had access to them. The final Rolls/Bentley designs were just TOO similar to be an "accident." If only Packard would have evolved into that model instead of the bath tubs....

Posted on: 2010/10/25 7:14
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And just what is wrong with the bathtubs???

Posted on: 2010/10/25 7:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
And just what is wrong with the bathtubs???

They're just so sexy, especially the 2 doors, that people keep clamoring over each other to get a look and scratch it all up. Too fine looking for their own good. Not saying that because i own a 50, just a general thing about the bathtubs that i noticed...

Posted on: 2010/10/25 7:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
When I took my 1947 Super Clipper in to be painted-the body shop guys told me we have one of those being painted now. It was just the body-I think it was a RR. Very similiar

Posted on: 2010/10/25 7:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
They're just so sexy, especially the 2 doors, that people keep clamoring over each other to get a look and scratch it all up. Too fine looking for their own good. Not saying that because i own a 50, just a general thing about the bathtubs that i noticed...

GOOD answer! I've noticed that about almost all Packards, save the stodgy '51-'54 models, lol!

Posted on: 2010/10/25 7:53
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
..., save the stodgy '51-'54 models, lol!

Posted on: 2010/10/25 11:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
LMAO Kevin!

I figured that would ruffle some feathers on here a little!!

Posted on: 2010/10/25 11:23
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved