Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 176

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: DESIGN IMITATION?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think it looks pretty decent. Like the turn signals.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 9:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think it looks pretty good as well, what year of grille did you use?

Posted on: 2010/11/6 15:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
The top of the grill is from the car itself, a 1948 Custom Victoria and a strikingly beautiful one at that. The grill top has the right width and nicely defines the rest of the surround. The biggest swag was how high to make the grill. Tried higher versions but they looked too locomotive-like for such a rounded car. Would do a clay model before turning the fab shop loose because one never knows how these ideas will play out.

Also tried a version with a one piece curved windshield. Looked good and would have been a fitting choice on Packard's part for the smoothly contoured '48s.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 19:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The curved windshield is an interesting idea. Don't think I have heard that mentioned. Believe glass curving was not very advanced then and wasn't feasible for mass production until the early 50's so that might be one reason it wasn't tried.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 19:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Eric - if you want me to tweak the concept let me know. Am somewhat limited with Microsoft Paint - and my own abilities - but am game for the more straightforward assignments.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 19:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Chrysler and Studebaker offered curved glass pre-war in limited volumes and Lincoln had it for 1949. Could Packard have done it a year before Lincoln or was there some big advancement that happened for '49? If it was simply a cost issue then once again the question would have come down to the importance of Senior vs. Junior differentiation.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think it looks good the way that it is, but I'm curious to see what the one piece curved windshield looks like. I'm more partial to the split windshield designs though.
BTW, that pic you made is now the wallpaper on my computer, lol!

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Lincoln had it for 1949. Could Packard have done it a year before Lincoln or was there some big advancement that happened for '49?

49 Lincoln type surely could have been done. I thought you were speaking of the 55-6 curved or wraparound. I believe those deep curves were not really feasible until around 52-3.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Lincoln also had the V12 up to '48, something Packard could have easily done as well. Never did figure out the reasoning behind dropping the V12, they could have kept on to it at least until '50, and maybe even up to '54. Imagine that, a 1954 Packard V12 Patrician...

Would have worked well with Brian's 1956 V12 Patrician, LMAO!

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
I think you're right about the wrap around type. Yep, I was referring to the slightly curved type.

Here's a mod with both the one piece glass and a slightly taller, more steeply raked grill. I dunno, maybe taller is better. Need to look at tomorrow with fresh eyes. Can easily mix and match the elements if you want to see a differenct combo.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.38 KB)
2060_4cd6074fca00f.jpg 971X503 px

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:56
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved