Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: DESIGN IMITATION?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No one has ever accused me of having any style sense so anything I like, take with a grain of salt.

I'm kind of torn between the two pictures. I like the wide vertical grill but am not quite sure it goes with the horizontal part that well after all on that body. Maybe it's the extra whiskers. Even though narrower, the vertical blend is much better on the 42 old style body. The tiny parking lights on the first do not appeal to me--that maybe is just a tad too much like the Bentley or RR but then neither do the narrow horizontal ones in that location with the vertical grill. There is just something that doesn't quite make it on this--but even with that, I do like it better than the later squat grill and fat body.

Like your idea about running board look on some but not others to differentiate. I rather like the distinction of the separate fenders yet have the flaredout connection between and would put them on the seniors. Without, I think it looks too much like the GM products.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 21:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Turbopackman wrote: Someone needs to build this car, it looks WONDERFUL!!!

Somebody's already had a go.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.85 KB)
226_4cd394286feaa.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2010/11/5 0:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Photoshop rendering looks clean. This just has to much and is distracting.

I hate when people do too much to a car or add more widgets and crap than the dash board of a New Your Taxi cab. Less is more folks, less is more!

Posted on: 2010/11/5 0:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I like the Packard version a lot better Mal, and for that matter, I like the Jaguar MkII a lot better than the MkVII/MkX.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 0:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Hey, I've learned to take my own sense of style with a full container of salt! Not that we want to form the dreaded "committee" as we muse over a new Clipper design, but lots of input from passionate people is a good thing.

I agree with the comments championing the clean approach. That's not to say a more modern approach couldn't have worked for the original Clipper along the lines of the 40 Buick, 41 Cadillac or even the 42 Lincoln. So long as it was clean, classy and expensive looking.

As to the parking lights, there are probably lots of places they could be placed. I tried a few then went with the same location that the square lights were located.

The running boards are another matter and it's hard to say how good or bad a Clipper would look without them because no such car exists and images only get you so far. I would like to see something in the flesh because I think there's a chance it might look very good. In fact, I would like to see the front pontoons truncated so as NOT to flow into the body sides. Why? Because the Clipper is built like my father... stalky. Getting rid of the RBs and letting the body sides curve in might give the car a trimmer, more athletic look. Plus it would make for a nice fluted coke bottle shape. Here's an example of what I mean. Compare with actual Clipper. Includes a vertical grill (raked back a few inches), stone guards and fender skirts. Think of it as a wide Darrin Victoria with 4 doors and a roof.

Paul

Attach file:

jpg  (25.00 KB)
2060_4cd8aae312091.jpg 689X402 px

jpg  (24.17 KB)
2060_4cd9b78216860.jpg 689X402 px

Posted on: 2010/11/5 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Anyone with good photoshop skills want to try that early grille on a '48-'51 model? I'm curious to see if it actually looks like what I'm visualizing....

Posted on: 2010/11/5 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Eric - I could give it a try over the next few days. Are you thinking it should be tall like my Clipper version?

Paul

Posted on: 2010/11/5 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, just like this:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Only on a '48-'50 body. You can eliminate the chrome grille side trim as well, I don't think it would look quite right..

Posted on: 2010/11/5 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'm thinking it'll look similar to this, minus the gaudy bumper treatment:

Click to see original Image in a new window

I really like the looks of this car, however I see more Hudson in the body than I do Packard. Maybe it's just me...

Posted on: 2010/11/5 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Here's an attempt. Grill is raised and slanted back a few degrees, following the contour of the hood. No issues with the turn signal lights, simply moved them from the upper to the lower bumper. Again, my sincere thanks to the owners of both the car and image that this is based on.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.75 KB)
2060_4cd5702487aa0.jpg 971X503 px

Posted on: 2010/11/6 7:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved