Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Finned and Edmunds style H/C Heads
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I haven't purchased anything from them. But, I recently sold them a block for a 1936 Super Eight, the one you see in their advertisements. It was not a quick process. But, I did get the money and they arranged the shipping.
Things may be better now than they were before.

Posted on: 2008/1/2 21:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Finned and Edmonds style H/C Heads
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
The AACA is being one of them that has a complaint filled against this company.

I think AACA was listed as one of the creditors on the BK if I remember the thread correctly. So that would have been the old company. Not Empire. Empire basically came in and bought the plant, equiptment, and any left over supplies and stock (the assests) of the previous company at auction. Empire had no previous relationship with the old company. They just happended to show up at the auction like anyone else could have.

Any debts would have still been the responsibilty of the previous owner and would have been settled or discharged under the direction of the BK Judge.

I think people are confusing what happened with the old company vs the new one. If you bought a Packard at a police auction that was used in a Bank Robbery 2 years ago, should you be treated like you robbed the bank? It basically the same thing.

I am kinda of excited about the fact someone is actually investing in tooling to bring new Packard performace products to market, and I would hate to see that get squashed becaused people are assuming the wrong thing about the reputation of the company. So I am just trying to cut through the myth, and get to the fact. If I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it. But so far no one has shown my anything different.

I think a 2x2 intake and a finned period looking head would look pretty sweet on an Straight 8. Also the fact they are making the A/C bracketry and pulleys may help alot of people out that want to add a little modern comfort to their pride and joys.

Posted on: 2008/1/3 13:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Durant Model 60
See User information
To help clarify the issue: "But so far no one has shown my anything different"
I too was excited by the prospect that a company was willing to cast hard-to-find parts for my car, but that company in El Paso to which I sent my money in December of 2004 has now taken 36 months to ?cast? a Durant 14L / 15L cylinder head for me, with no results. They have changed their name, changed their phone, changed the contact persons info, but the same guy who answered the phone as "Val Blazer" two years ago now answers the phone with a new name, "Dave Johnson". I spent literally hours on the phone with Val, and I can assure you, it is the same guy. The company that filed BK is NOT the same as MFT-USA, now DBA Empire Motors, Inc. but was another DBA incorporated 14 miles away in Canutillo, Texas.

24 months ago Val said that the patterns were ?in the foundry? and ?being cast?. 19 months ago he said that the cylinder heads were ?being cast?. Now, I know that aluminum castings are supposed to be allowed to cool slowly, but . . . Today, January 4, 2008 Dave Johnson said, and I am absolutely not kidding you, ?The head is at the foundry, but I don't want to upset things by asking them to rush . . .?

During that time, in reply to my requests for info, he continually sent ME emails requesting ?additional information?, and sent me many photos of other people's projects. I have photos of beautiful Packard manifolds, other brand cylinder heads, but none of an actual cylinder head for a Durant, for which I paid $2,800!

I have since found many postings on the internet by various people complaining about the same thing, literally years of stalling and nothing for your money, judgments against the company, even including someone who paid for a grave marker that they never received. Just do searches, you will find the postings.
I would be remiss if I did not do all I can to help ensure that other hobbyists do not fall for this trap, and lose money that cannot be replaced. Those who wish to do so may email me for the specifics, including copies of the correspondence. durant@verizon.net

Posted on: 2008/1/4 22:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for this. It's important to know the bad with the good. I will forward this to the President of Empire, and post any reponse he gives me here.

Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:14
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I just sent Durant's post in an email to President of Empire. Once I get back a response, I will post it here.

Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Durant Model 60: Thank You for your post comfirming the BIG RED Flag I put up in this thread about this firm.

KEVIN: A word of advice to you. Forward no email to this fellow. Just tell him of the post in here, and invite him to come here directly and comment on the matters and claims against this firm. More later when I have time. I have to go to the animal shelter right now for about three hours.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/1/5 7:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I have had no dealings with this company, but too many red lights went off for me after reading what little I have about them. It's easy to get bilked in the hobby - even before the Internet came along.

As a prospective buyer, I'd be very careful about making a four-figure purchase like that - without me (or someone I can trust) first personally inspecting their products - especially if installed on real-world vehicles.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 15:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brian, I agree. I would not want to spend $2,000 on a head up front without some type of gurantee of a list of customer references I talk to.

That being said I am trying to figure out if the people with compaints or problems represent the 1 in 500 or not. We all know that people usually are all ready to spit fire and brimstone when they feel or get bad service, but not everyone that gets good/great service leaves praise. So that is why I am trying to figure out if the compaints represent the majority of customers, of just a vocal few. I am also curious if the problems are related to exisiting castings/tooling products, or are isolated to the custom one-off heads, manifolds where tooling was to be made.

Bottom line is that I want to get to the truth of the matter(good or bad) just like everyone else.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 16:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

It's not my intent to bypass the "innocent until proven guilty" rule of law, but would want to see some of the company's products that have actually been delivered an installed on several Packards.

In cases like this, it comes down to a preponderance of the evidence. The availability of such parts/services sounds mighty enticing, but I'm hoping to hear more on this from other Packard owners who have experience with this company - good or bad.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 18:03
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Empire's response to Durants complaint:

"Dear Sir,

This order did not originate or was given to Empire Motors, Inc., but we are mfg. it out of courtesy. We did not receive any payment on this Order.

The Durant Aluminum Cylinder Head, has been cast in a 356 Alloy, and it look's vary good, EMI, has sent photo, to the end user, at the present time we are waiting, for it to be heat treated to a T6, There after we will machine it and ship it to the customer.

We asked the end user for a shipping address, we do not have a file on the end user.

We are setting up a in House /Foundry, we can supply castings in Iron, Brass and Aluminum. For Heads, Blocks and Manifolds.

Thank you,

R.A. Perriguey
President
Empire Motors Inc
Casting / Machining Division
13451 Montana Ave
El Paso, TX 79938-9616 USA

Phone No. 915-856-9607
Fax No. 915-856-9637

Email: info@empiremotorsinc.com
Web Site www.empiremotorsinc.com"

I have also requested that Empire send me a picture of the Durant head in question, and I will post it here when I get it. I will also keep following up on this until Durant gets his head.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 21:34
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved