Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Chugging engine...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I just had my '50 Packard Super DeLuxe tuned with new plugs. distributor, rotor, points and condensor. This evening it started fine then on warm up it began to chug at idle like it was getting too much gas. I am thinking the choke here??? Any ideas guys????

Posted on: 2010/10/26 21:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Chugging engine...
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Was the timing rechecked? Idle adjustment screws?

Posted on: 2010/10/26 21:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Gee, I don't know, but I doubt it. It ran decently prior to the tune up and ran well after too. It just started this tonight. The car is to go to have the transmission worked over on Thursday so I am a bit nervous...

Posted on: 2010/10/26 21:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you pull the air cleaner off carb while it's running does the choke appear fully open? If so, then that would rule it out. If not, then manually opening it should tell if that's the cause.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Does it clear up if you raise the RPM's? Could be a sticky float needle valve in the carb...do you see black smoke at the tailpipe?

I would contact the shop that tuned it and give them a chance to get it right.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 23:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
When was the carburetor last gone through? I can't say enough good things about Daytona in Fla. kits or rebuilds, they are about the best.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 23:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Yes, it does clear up when I speed the engine up. It seems to clear out the excess gas then runs nicely. There is black smoke too. Is that a sign of what you are talking about? If it is, is there a quick fix so it can go on to the transmission shop?? Thanks for your knowledge...

Posted on: 2010/10/27 8:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If the ignition timing was set after the distributor was worked on, then it sounds to me like the carburetor is flooding from a leaking needle and seat valve. There may be a small particle of dirt under the needle valve causing too much gasoline to enter the carburetor. Try lightly tapping the carburetor, I repeat - lightly tap - where the fuel line is fitted. The plastic handle of a screw driver is a good thing to use. Just do it lightly, the tapping may jar the dirt loose. Good luck.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/27 10:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Paul, did the tapping work? Is all ok now?

Posted on: 2010/11/7 19:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dave Merrick
See User information
I'm having the EXACT same problem.
At startup, the car would puff out black smoke till it got warmed up. I took it to the mechanic for a tune-up and some other work (New water pump, etc...) It ran flawlessly for about 2 days. Then the black smoke came back. A friend of mine smelled it and said "Yup, that's gas" Now I also have a chugging engine. I tried the screwdriver trick to no avail.

One thing I did notice is that when I got it back the vacuum hose was disconnected from the wiper pump and left hanging I hooked it back up and the engine started to chug. So I took it off and it hasn't stopped chugging since; with or without the hose attached.

What now?

Posted on: 2010/11/16 15:09
----------------
1951 Packard 300 (2472)
"Built to outlast them all..."
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved