Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 190

Paul E. Gallagher, DM37, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Original seal beams
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Does anyone know what the original factory seal beam headlights looked like for a 23rd series Packard? I would like to find the correct ones for my car.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 11:58
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Original seal beams
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As far as I know, except for the RHD cars just about like any other 6-volt sealed beam except without the little aiming "tits" that came along later. I believe Packard had several vendors for the lamps, C.M. Hall and Mazda among them.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Do the little "aiming tits" show on the outside of the headlight? I am trying to go back to the original look of the Packard and I don't want anything visible that looks incorrect if I can avoid it.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 10:13
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Fred Puhn wrote:
Do the little "aiming tits" show on the outside of the headlight? I am trying to go back to the original look of the Packard and I don't want anything visible that looks incorrect if I can avoid it.

Fred, Think I read somewhere where the new style sealed beam bulbs could have the "aiming tits" ground off to have the original smooth look. Might try this on a bad bulb first.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/3 10:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do the little "aiming tits" show on the outside of the headlight

They do show and are about 3/16 wide and protrude about the same. Unless you run into a stash of 50 year old NOS or someone makes repro's, will be surprised if you can find any without them for sale today.

If you do try grinding them off, maybe a diamond wheel and lots of cooling would work but would be very curious in hearing what you used and if you were able to polish the glass smooth.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 10:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Find a shop that make stained glass windows, they have the equipment to grind glass and polish it. About 15 minutes per lite.
John

Posted on: 2010/11/3 11:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Find a shop that make stained glass windows, they have the equipment to grind glass and polish it. About 15 minutes per lite.

Something I would never have thought of--but maybe also a mirror shop. They're probably more available than the stained glass.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 11:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It can be an enjoyable "do it yourself" job, especially if you have a Dremel or equivalent. Cut them off with the Dremel carbide cutting wheel, grind with successively fine abrasive papers, and polish with jeweler's rouge. Well done, you'd have to be within a few inches to see what was done.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 11:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I see a side business for someone! "Nub Remover"

Posted on: 2010/11/3 11:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On an earlier post (before deleting it) was wondering about accuracy of shops using the suction cup aiming gadget without them. Was surprised to find those gadgets have now been "unapproved" in most places and some kind of fancy optical thing is required for shops doing that work. Just sit in front of the car, light shines in but never touches. Guess they came about in light of cars having such diverse configurations today the old type wouldn't work anymore.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 11:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved