Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 25 »

Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hi:

I am doing some details to my Four Hundred and I have a few doubts which I want to ask, before I do something incorrect. Can anybody help me by answering the following questions?:

1. My car has a body color (scotish heather) firewall but black painted side engine (lower internal fenders) panels. Is this correct? (Pic enclosed). I have seen cars both ways.

2. Black engine parts. Are the air filter, radiator, power steering pump, etc painted gloss or semi-gloss black?

3. Gas line. Would anybody have a picture (preferably original) in which I can see how the gas line for the dual carbs is supposed to go, so I can copy it correctly?

4. The screws to hold the panel covering between radiator and grill... what kind of treatment are they supposed to have. I have seen cars that appear to have them galvanized, but when I cleaned mine they show some sort of copper color.

Thanks!
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (185.80 KB)
1141_4ccb90a40ee0c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/10/29 22:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Victor,

The radiator filler panel should have cadmium plated bolts. The inner fenders are correctly painted black below the drip rail.

You may want to purchase the Engine Room Judging guide from Packards International. It covers the paint and finish for all the various bits under the hood.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 22:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
All of my original inner fenders are painted body color. That is for both cars with original paint. No high gloss paint on heater, splasher etc. I have a new old stock splasher with the factory parts tag still stuck on it. The sheen is somewhere between semi-gloss and satin finish. I painted a spare splasher high gloss just because I could, but still have a spare new original one if I want to put it back authentic.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 23:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Carbs and pump. This has factory air so oil filter is on passenger side of engine instead of regular place.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.27 KB)
209_4ccb98dd2289d.jpg 640X370 px

jpg  (32.19 KB)
209_4ccb98e542a7b.jpg 640X412 px

jpg  (29.33 KB)
209_4ccb98f116375.jpg 640X508 px

jpg  (36.95 KB)
209_4ccb98f8cdae0.jpg 640X377 px

Posted on: 2010/10/29 23:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I don't want to throw stones at PI, but I purchased the engine room judging guide from PI and found the info for V-8 cars to less than complete and authoritative. PAC has done nothing, so PI at least did something, but a lot of things are left unsaid in their book. we need to get all of this history down before everyone who "knows how those cars were built" goes to glory.
I think there is more value in a panel discussion here and at the PAC and AACA websites, between all of us we can sort out what was what, especially when people like Packards1 have such original survivors.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 0:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks for all the responses and particularly the pics. Very helpful.

Another question comes to mind: decals.

I know the dual carb air filter is supposed to have one decal on each of the air cleaners at the sides, facing up.

Are there any other decals on the engine or engine comparment? Any source for them?

thanks,
Victor

Posted on: 2010/10/30 9:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
PAC has most of the decals.http://www.packardclub.org/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&sort=20a&page=1

As to placement, ones I've bought from various vendors in past come with instructions but don't know if these do. Don't recall if there is any info here on site either.

If not, and someone has something that can be posted that might be very beneficial. Otherwise, there are lists such as the PI guide and various photos to show exactly.

Unless someone steps forward first with information, once you get the decals and find they came without any, a question will get the answer.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 9:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Mr PB is correct that 51-56 documentation is incomplete in the PI info. To give them credit they did start to document that era which is more than anyone else. It is up to us to fill in the missing data. There are exceptions as far as Caribbeans are concerned because I don't think they were built on the regular assembly line. The 55-56s I have seen have the firewall the same color as the main body color. The inner fenders are a satin or flat black .

Posted on: 2010/10/30 12:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 56 Carib convertible (late car, #254) had inner fender panels and fender wheel wells all in upper body color (white).

Posted on: 2010/10/30 12:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
All good information presented thusfar.

Yes, kudos to Packards International (PI) for undertaking that judging guide; it's a great starting point. As a work in progress, it may not be perfect in its coverage, but it's far cry from mind-numbing judging "standards" like "plating should be of proper type". If PI plans on continuing with that great work, to its completion, then I wouldn't want to formally duplicate the effort here, but we can continue to discuss the finer points.

PI also has an illustrated listing of decals in their Parts Project Catalog which is avaliable online, in PDF. You will want to right-click that link and choose "Save target As..." to download the file as it is 4MB - especialy if you're on a dial-up connection. Very little info on placement, though.

Meanwhile, you'll find repro of the decals for the Caribbean 2x4 air cleaner at the Accessories page of Dwight Heinmuller's PackardParts.org site.

If unable to determine proper placement of decals from the existing parts or any manual, you'll need to inspect a similar car that is either unrestored or correctly restored. In lieu of that, you can ask about placement of specific decals here, and I'm sure others will provide photos, as time permits.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 12:28
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved