Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 25 »

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Forgive me. I forgot to provide some detail. Those pictures represent what I found when I began the restoration on my 400. I could never figure out why my firewall was painted black and the inner fenders were turquoise.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 0:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think we should also keep in mind the Friday/Monday "that's good enough, it's beer thirty" cars.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 10:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Back to the coil, could the placement in the 2 carb cars be related to the newer type /larger spark plug wire separators?

I looked in my car and I can see no trace of holes for fixing the coil in the firewall. It is fixed with the two screws at the almost rear part of the upper head, where the vaccum tube and ground strap are fixed in HH56's car, and in my car the ground strap is fixed to another screw, just in the rear of the head, that is, between head and firewall. My car has the much smaller earlier type of spark plug wire separators.

Attach file:

jpg  (138.00 KB)
1141_4cd02e192feea.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/11/2 10:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am thinking someone converted your car to the 2 carb setup from an original single and used what they had. As O_D mentioned, the factory dual carbs had coil on the firewall and on those with single carbs, coil was mounted behind the carb on intake manifold. With the dual setup, there was no place to mount in the regular spot so they chose to do it that way. The coil wire is fairly long and pointed away from the distributor as well which I don't believe Packard would have done.

When introduced, the newer style separators were to be used and were the same item for all 55-6 cars with a crossfire problem, no matter single or dual and just used existing holes.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.42 KB)
209_4cd032b25dfd5.jpg 459X369 px

jpg  (15.19 KB)
209_4cd032bc20386.jpg 340X284 px

Posted on: 2010/11/2 10:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I guess that it is certainly a possibility, that somebody added the dual carbs later in the car's life, though I have no way of knowing. The prior owner had it for over 30 years.

Anyhow, I will try to eventually correct the car to be just as it is supposed to be.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 13:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I guess that it is certainly a possibility, that somebody added the dual carbs later in the car's life, though I have no way of knowing. The prior owner had it for over 30 years.

Anyhow, I will try to eventually correct the car to be just as it is supposed to be.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 13:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Strictly speaking, only the Caribbeans came with the dual 4-bbls. The statement is often made that Packard would have done anything to make a sale, there may be some truth to this but I think the more realistic answer is that non-Caribbean models with dual 4-bbls were conversions gladly done by dealers at the point of sale, or thereafter.

I didn't take the time to consult Brian's excellent RPO (regular production order) codes, but as I remember, there is no code for dual 4-bbls on any model other than the Caribbeans.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 13:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Should you want to retail the 2x4 carb set up...I was unable to find a good photo of a 56 Caribbean. I did find a couple a good photos of 55 Caribbeans. Perhaps these will be helpful.
Mike

Attach file:

jpg  (28.22 KB)
590_4cd08cf079656.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (28.42 KB)
590_4cd08d00b501a.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (192.14 KB)
590_4cd08d3fa4a6c.jpg 1536X1152 px

jpg  (138.75 KB)
590_4cd08d60c4a16.jpg 1536X1152 px

Posted on: 2010/11/2 17:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I didn't take the time to consult Brian's excellent RPO (regular production order) codes, but as I remember, there is no code for dual 4-bbls on any model other than the Caribbeans.

Actually, there is no RPO code for dual 4-bbl. equipment for any model. As a matter of regular production, the dual 4-bbl. setup was only installed the Caribbean engine (55-56). As such, there was no need for an equipment code.

Notice also that there are no RPO codes for ANY of the engines. Unlike other automakers, there was no choice of engines offered for a given Packard model; engines were specific to the chassis/model - at leats for 55-56.

Though a Jet Streak performance package, including the 2x4 set-up, was planned for the 56J Golden Hawk, it died on the table - was never available.

IF the factory installed the 2x4 setup (or even any alternate engines) in any other car, I suspect it would have been noted on the production record. I'd bet there would be a "REQ" number in the string of option codes - as Randy Berger found on the production order for his specially equipped Patrician. (Now, if only the request master file had been saved and would someday surface.)

I'd say that, with all other things being equal, a coil mounted incorrectly would be a pretty good indicator that the 2x4 installation was not done by the factory. I'm sure there was sufficient profit motive and parts available for a dealer to install the equipment on any 352- or 374-cid mill, but the conversion could have also been accomplished by some previous owner.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 19:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Both of the '55 Caribbean pics show a white engine. Was this normal in 55? What is the container holding some yellow liquid that goes in the firewall, driver's side?

As for my car, it is now evident, because of the coil mounting that it was either dealer installed or done by a later owner. Whichever the story, I am glad I have the dual quad setup. I can move the coil myself to the firewall, but asides from the exact location, a question comes to mind: Is it only a hole and then sheetmetal screws to hold the coil base or does it have some kind or soldered fitting in the firewall to receive regular screws?

I will work on making the fuel and vaccumm lines and try to get everything as correct as possible with the exception of the body color inner fenders, which will have to wait a while before it gets done.

Thanks for all the help,
Victor

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:32
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved