Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

Packard Lover, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Re: Dummy Timing Chain Install Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
After cleaning i did in fact see i was looking at the wrong timing mark. Rolled it around 360 crank degrees and marks lined up. I don't know what that timing is in relation to valves or pistons (eg 8 or 1 tdc or exhaust closing) but i have to feel that it's right and i'm going to put the new on without moving anything.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 19:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've changed lots of timing chains and sprockets; never did actually check the valve timing. I just slipped on the chain and sprockets, made sure the marks aligned (using a straight edge across shaft centers helps you make sure you've got it right) and buttoned it up. Go to it.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 22:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Before the power went out on my block last night, i was talking in the chatroom with kevin and turbo about the theory here.

I did have the distributor in and firing on #1 and the crank damper saying tdc when i dissasembled, and was exactly 180 out.

When i rolled the crank over 360 degrees, they lined up perfectly.

IF pistons one and eight are each others counterparts (like one and six in a GM v8) and one is firing while the other is exhausting but both up at the exact same time, THEN

The same timing set with the same marks would work regardless of the directions to time it. You can actually time the cam to the crank 180 out, as long as you time the ignition to the cam afterwards. Like right now, if all the above is true, all i need to do is install as it sits and make sure when the distributor is in that it's firing on number one's counterpart (likely 8). The distributor only goes in 2 ways, so when i put it in, it'll be on number one or not, and wherever it is, it will be firing on number one's counterpart (and if it's eight then i'll have confidence that my theory is correct.)

That's the only reason i could see the factory manual saying to line up mechanical tappet engines on one and hydraulic on eight and both still using the same timing set.

It'd be like installing a V8 timing chain dots facing each other or dots exactly opposite...doesn't matter as long as the distributor is in time with the cam.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong before the parts show up :)

Posted on: 2010/11/4 8:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your analysis is correct. If the distributor was out when I did a timing chain and I needed to determine in which of the two possible positions to insert the distributor, I just pull the #1 plug and crank with my finger over the hole until I feel the compression, but checking the tappet action accomplishes the same thing. Then just insert the distributor so the hot rotor tip is under #1 on the cap.

Sorry I can't help on the interchange of parts between engines/series, no experience there but best of luck in accomplishing what you want to do. I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Before the power went out on my block last night,

THAT'S where you went! Kev and I were wondering if you went out to the garage to count the sparkplugs in your engine, lol! Glad you got it figured out!

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I was SO angry! I tried loading the chatroom in my Droid phone but it didn't play to well and wouldn't load up.

I was like "But i was JUST figuring this out!"

Number 8 is 180 across from 1 on the distributor, and that is where it's pointing now with the marks lined up. Now the UPS man just needs to bring my parts.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's because the Flash player on Droid phones leave a lot to be desired. Trust me, I tried it too with mine and it didn't work out so well. What Droid do you have?

Posted on: 2010/11/4 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I have the original Motorola Droid. Got it because it was the cheapest at the time, had the real keyboard. I couldn't justify getting a better one because i really just needed it to sync with our exchange server at work (mail, contacts, calendar, etc) without paying for extra software or monthly fees.

Blackberry wanted an extra 15 a month on top of the $29 data plan to allow you to sync that way, and then you had to buy their software! Everything else it does (flashlight app, google maps, gps speedometer widget) is just icing on the cake.

Hopefully the timing set will be here today and i can get to work assembling and painting/detailing!

Posted on: 2010/11/5 8:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
While we're on this subject. Is there something wrong with the BlackBerry microphone (built into the phone) that cause the Blackberry owners voice to sound distorted to other people that he calls voice to voice???????

Posted on: 2010/11/5 10:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
YES! People would call me and say it would make a weird noise as soon as i answered that i didn't hear...like a sick dying cow mooing, and then we could both talk...annoying as hell when you're in a hurry and you have to wait a second for the line to clear! I always thought it was just poor service from the cell company making a clear connection but maybe it was the phone!

Posted on: 2010/11/5 11:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved