Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Aluminium Pistons Who Was First?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
It has always been claimed in Packard circles by some so-called Packard historians, that Packard was the first automotive manufacturer to use aluminium pistons in automotive engines.

Just got done reading some history on the use of aluminium pistons in car engines. From two different sources that I have in my library seems to that might not be the case that Packard was the first.

The first car manufacture to use aluminium pistons in their engines was the auto firm of Aquila Italiana located in Turin Italy from 1906 to 1914. An engineer for the firm named S.M. Viale was the one who first started experimenting with aluminium pistons.

Aquila Italiana started producing cars in 1906 building four and six cylinder engines. These engines were the first to use aluminium pistons.

I just kind of wonder who might be right and who is wrong. Seems PI and PAC both publish lists claiming Packard was the first. Packard certainly had to among the first in the US to do so.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/12/26 21:38
 Top  Print 

Re: Aluminium Pistons Who Was First?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
John, although you stated when the company was in business, you didn't state, or maybe it doesn't say, when they actually put aluminum pistons in their production engines. Does it specify a date when they did that on a production basis? Also, when did Packard do this on a production basis? Last, could you name your sources? There are other historians who might have contradicting reviews. I always like to know who authored statements. If it is in sales literaature of the time, that is one thing- if it is Sam Shazam's opinion that is different.

Posted on: 2007/12/26 22:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Randy: I have to hit the hay right now. Will have all the answers to your questions on Thursday night.

Posted on: 2007/12/26 22:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Hit the HAY! Why it's the shank of the evening! Just getting started. You young pups sure do tire easily. Catch you tomorrow John. Only six more months to Warren.

Posted on: 2007/12/26 23:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
John--the role of automotive historian is a precarious perch to sit upon. It is very hard to exactly pinpoint who did what first without a lot of exhaustive research from varied sources, some of which may only be accessed by traveling to where the materials are. Every armchair automotive historian can be bested by someone who knows that a small European maker did thus-and-such first in 190x, on all two cars they managed to make. Others have an "American big three" mentality, if GM, Ford or Chrysler said they did it first that's all that matters, the other claims are questionable because "if they were so smart why aren't they still around"?
I'm in the business, and we tread very lightly when making such claims. It's basically a urinating contest, a game of Jeopardy with a variable set of books to use as the OED/bible. Some books have been superseded by later volumes which involved a much deeper level of research, many of which I'm sure you have in your library. One of my libraries is the National Automotive Historical Collection (NAHC) located at the Detroit public library's Skillman branch. It is one of the most complete libraries devoted to automotive information, and I am lucky to live within a 25 minute drive, and get to go there for work-related research occasionally.
Of course as I write this I remember what they taught us in Detroit public schools in the 1960s, when my third-grade teacher informed us that "Henry Ford invented the automobile and the assembly line" WRONG!

Posted on: 2007/12/27 14:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
John: I know that you have been published many times including a recent article published by PAC. Over my time in this hooby I have been part of exposing a few frauds that were suppose to be experts in your business. Ask Paul McKeehan or Stu Blond and his spouse.

I am more than an armchair historian. I have received private praise from Beverly Kimes for a research piece I did on the English built car the Invicta. That short piece I wrote on Invicta was published in a CCCA publication about two years ago. I covered two events for the old Classicar web site and articles written about both events was based on my writings and findings. In May of last year I helped a noted local historian do an article on cars produced in my home town of Williamsport Penna. The author of the article gave me public praise in his article for my research and knowledge.

I to have done research at one of the best automotive libraries in the United States. The library the AACA has at Hershey is only two hours from my home and I have spent some considerable time in that library doing research.

95% of time anything that is published today concerning automotive history today that is suppose to be new, is nothing more than a rehash or reprint of history and facts that have already been published in the past. A person who I consider a friend and a dam good expert on Packards made that statement to me a few years back. With all the books I have bought and the research I have done, Ed was very correct in what he told me.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/12/27 19:17
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Lets keep it nice boys. No need to drag personal ghosts from the past into this.

I think the main point of this thread about aluminum pistons, and who was the first manufacturer to use them.

We should qualify the claim a little bit first. Is it the first US production car to use them. Or the is it "Two guys and a Wrench" Garage and Yak-Shearing in Outer Mongolia that happened to use them in some cobbled together farm machinery that never went into production.

Perhaps the Packard claims should fit into the "First US Production Vehicle too.....blah blah blah" catagory. I think will help to put some structure around this a bit.

It's one thing to invent the technology, it's another thing to make it viable in a production environment.

To make a point, Antonio Meucci was recognised as the first inventor of the telephone by the United States Congress, in its resolution 269 dated 11 June 2002 ("if Meucci had been able to pay the $10 fee to maintain the caveat after 1874, no patent could have been issued to Bell").

Why we all know the name Alexander Bell, who here would actual know the name Antonio Meucci if it was tossed out at random?

Posted on: 2007/12/27 19:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Kevin: I am only merely setting the record straight as to my background and my qualifications for being a fair amateur automotive historian.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/12/27 19:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Good points Kev, but what we are discussing is a list that Packard itself published. When they published this list, did GM, or Ford or Chrysler, Rolls-Royce, Fiat, Alfa or any other auto manufacturer challenge them on their authenticity? Apparently not, for none of us have ever cited that as a disagreement of the Packard claims. The fact that PAC or PI or Sam Shazam published the Packard list does not make it any less credible. I for one, will accept PMCCs claims until such claim can be demonstrably shown to be false.

Posted on: 2007/12/27 20:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Randy: I almost forgot to answer your questions.

1. Aquila Italians started building engines using aluminium pistons in 1906.

2. The sources of my information are as follows.

The Complete Encyclopedia of Motor Cars 1885 to Present. Edited by G.N Georgano published 1970. The information published on page 47.

The World of Automobiles. Volume 15 of the set under the heading of piston page 1717. This set of books was published in 1974 by Orbis Press London England.

I for one would like to see the research that PAC and PI did on the Packard First to list to back some of the bogus claims made on that list.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/12/27 21:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved