Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Kanter disc brake conversion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tourville
See User information
Any changes in 'State of the Art' Disc Brake Conversion Kit Developments for our Packards ?

Posted on: 2016/12/22 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Tourville,
No info on disc brake developments but a to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your Packard/s in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/12/22 20:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Tourville Quote:
Any changes in 'State of the Art' Disc Brake Conversion Kit Developments for our Packards?

I don't know specifically whether I mentioned this before in this thread because I'm not going to review all the previous posts, but my Panther has 4-wheel disc brakes that are state-of-the-art (but not race-quality over the top ones). I engineered them myself, but now that there are at least front disc brake conversions commercially available, it should be a lot easier. The front disc brake conversion alone should be adequate with a MODERN booster/MC also. Forget the BTV with a disc brake conversion.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/12/22 21:31
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
OK, I am totally lost here since I am about as mechanical as picking out the correct color of jacquard fabric for a Patrician (which I can do). And, speaking of a Patrician, my 56's BTV has gone bad. I, of course, learned long time ago on a failed 56 Clipper to simply pull the brake pedal up, reapply and I was always able to stop safely and fully...if I was not thrown into a panic situation. Obviously, I want to get my brakes back to working safely. What should I do? What do I purchase? I got new calipers and all that assorted stuff not too long ago. I have driven the car maybe only 100 or so miles since then. There seem to be differences of opinion. I need to know the most cost effective and safe thing to do on my Patrician. If the answer is "rebuild the BTV" and go on with life, fine. Just let me know who in the metro Atlanta area would do such a thing. Everyone here around the Palmetto, GA area gives me an emphatic "NO" to rebuilding a treadle vac. Help!

Posted on: 2020/8/27 16:17
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the stock drums and are handy and know what to look for in the way of collateral wear or corrosion damage in the casting and piston the rebuild kits which consist of mostly rubber parts are not expensive and relatively easy to install.

If you have limited skills as it sounds like then rather than finding someone local perhaps having Ross (if he is willing) or Kanter rebuild yours would be the better way to go. It would take longer but I would stick with one of our Packard vendors rather than just go to anyone who advertises rebuilds for all makes and models.

For a quicker turnaround but more money plus an exchange of your old unit you could get an already rebuilt unit from Kanter or Max and just bolt it in.

With the mention of calipers it almost sounds like you have a standard Packard power brake booster running a disc conversion. I would check with the vendor of the disc system for their thoughts as to whether the stock Bendix Treadlevac such as Packard used is the best choice in supplying the volume of fluid and pressure needs required of a master running discs. Discs take more volume and pressure than drums so my concern would be how far down does the pedal go for a stop and if the vacuum disappears will you be able to stop the car without the assist.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 16:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Thanks. I already knew to offer the BTV rebuilt from Kanter if I went that route. The mechanics all said NO to removing and replacing! Sorry, in my earlier posting I was ambiguous; I meant to say that they will not even entertain the idea of replacing a rebuilt unit!

Posted on: 2020/8/27 16:30
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That sort of thinking seems to be getting more common. If they can not swap a Treadlvac I sure wouldn't want them to engineer something else. Surely someone in the Packard club down there can do the job. Bit pricey to ship the car up to me :-0 although I'm happy to do the rebuild.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Installing/Removing the BTV is very simple, since there are only like 4 screws holding it to the firewall, two brake connections, and the brake light switch connection.

I have been thinking about how to replace the BTV in general, and have some ideas, but I don't expect those ideas to find fruition till the end of the calendar year.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 20:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
Installing a modern two-chamber master cylinder is absolutely the most important thing a person can do to his Packard (other than seat belt / shoulder harnesses). I'm using a Pirate Jack 4 port master cylinder and a smallish vacuum booster mounted beside the oil pan on the driver's side of my '48 Custom 8. The sheet metal between the frame and the oil pan is spaced down about 3/4" and all is well.

Posted on: 2023/7/22 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
This sounds very interesting, wonder whether it would fit in a 1951-56 chassis.

Maybe you could grace us with some pictures and part #'s?

Posted on: 2023/7/22 14:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved