Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 156

Packard Don, Jack Vines, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Kanter disc brake conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I received the Fall 2010 Kanter mail catalog and noticed that they claim to have a "Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit" for lots of different cars including 1935-56 Packards! This is a "wheel only" kit (no MC/booster) in 12in size for $749 retail.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:52
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Re: Kanter disc brake conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Craig - I'm sure Dan Kanter would be pleased to talk to you about it if you gave him a call. If you do, please share what you can with us.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 17:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't need this conversion because I already have disc brakes on my 55 Pat. Because of the previously stated interest in same on other threads, I was thinking that maybe someone had already purchased or at least inquired about it.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/3 17:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
For $749 it had better come with a reach around!

That's totally outrageous for an incomplete kit that doesn't come with a master cylinder and booster. And, I sure as hell wouldn't try to use a BTV on a disc brake system, they're setting themselves up for a lawsuit by selling that kit for those cars so equipped, the BTV is grossly insufficient for a disc brake application.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:05
 Top  Print 
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
For $749 it had better come with a reach around!

That's totally outrageous for an incomplete kit that doesn't come with a master cylinder and booster.

That's their "standard price" for wheel-only kits for off brands. Only their Chevy kits are "less", but of course there are many other choices for those.

Quote:
...the BTV is grossly insufficient for a disc brake application.

Pressure-wise, the BTV is not inadequate (I know because I tried it), but using it with front disc brakes is about as smart as using a cheap "saturday night special" hand gun with extra-load .44 magnum bullets. I.e., it'll blow up in your face pretty quickly.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, I'm more concerned about the inadequacies of the unit itself than trying to add disc brakes to the problem.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
No question this is a 90/10 decision factor. 90% important is replacing the BTV with dualMC/booster and 10% is disc brakes.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
ABS Power Brake's wheel only kits for Packard are $699 retail, $600 jobber. Maybe Kanter has become a distributor and is tacking on 150 extra-- although ABS kits only go back to 48.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I have a sneaking suspicion that they will go back to '35, but they just don't list them that way.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Craig, Turbopackman adn others

Dan and I have built a 51 year reputation for honesty, and unless there is an unintentional error in our catalogs we can supply what is listed therein. You state that we "claim" to have DBK's for '35-'56 Packards ( and we list the exceptions). To say we "claim" so puts doubts about our truthfulness in reader's minds. Would you say that General Motors "claims" to make and sell Corvettes?? Would you say the the US government "claims" to have 50 states. Would you say that Packard "claimed" to make 1956 Caribbean Convertibles?? So please explain why yoiu state that we "claim" to sell DBK's?

We can supply them, if you have inofrmation to the contrary please provide same. If not, I request you apologize as appropriate.

On the Bendix Treadle Vac (BTV) issue. We have sold over 15,000 BTV rebuild kits for about 8 makes of cars, I would guess that Bendix provided over 5 million units as original equipment between 1952 and 1960. If they were as dangerous as is claimed in this forum then there would have been a huge number of very bad accidents over the years and the weakness of the of the unit would be well documented while those vehicles were used as regular transportation.
A well rebuilt unit is as good as when it was new

Yes, there cannot be an argument that a dual master cylinder is not superior to a single, but shouting "fire" in a crowded theater where their is no fire is not responsible. BTV's are not like a roadside bomb in Iraq just waiting to injure or kill the unsuspecting

We get few requests for front end sheet metal or bumpers at all, never have. If BTV's were so dangerous I'd think we'd get many. Of course one might say that all those drivers were killed, but....

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/14 21:02
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved