Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear license plate holder, 1955 and 1956
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hi:

My car had no license plate in the rear when I got it and only, inside the trunk, the 90 degree metal bracket that bolts on top of the rear bumper. I got another one, theoretically complete, to substitute it with, and it came with an interesting part, that apparently goes under the bumper. Question here is, this part has two holes on one side, same as the ones in the 90 degree bracket, but is made of thick plate and has two other holes on the other side. I cannot figure out what these two holes are meant for? Any ideas?

While at it, my car also shows a couple of rather large holes below where the license plate goes, and almost at the most outer part of the bumper, at the 'crest' if I could call it that way. Any ideas of what these were for?

The first pic shows the upper two holes for the license plate 90 degree holder, and the two additional holes I am refering to.

The following two pics are the metal part and how I assume it goes (on my earlier bracket)

The last pic is the license plate holder already painted and in place, though I haven't installed the thick plate under the bumper yet till I find out if it goes there or not.

I am sure the metal plate which I am asking in the first question has nothing to do with the larger holes of the second one, as I got the license plate holder from another car.

Thanks,
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (131.08 KB)
1141_4cd99b82e7108.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (130.26 KB)
1141_4cd99d0517024.jpg 1536X1152 px

jpg  (65.75 KB)
1141_4cd99d31cace4.jpg 1536X1152 px

jpg  (105.50 KB)
1141_4cd99d8c9373d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/11/9 14:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear license plate holder, 1955 and 1956
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It looks to me like both sets of holes are for a tag bracket, quite possibly one bracket utilizing both and mounting the tag lower to be out of the way of the trunk opening. I know on my '56 the tag was always in a PITA position when it came to getting something heavy out of the trunk, same way with my '48. I'd like to mount it a little lower but I don't want to drill any more holes than I have to. Looks like you're already set up for it, lol!

Posted on: 2010/11/9 14:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
And was there ever the option of this lower tag bracket using the four holes? It just seems to low, and the lower holes are really too big for something as light as a tag bracket.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.94 KB)
1141_4cdab984e4f66.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/11/10 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the lower holes were for something added by the former owner. I don't recall ever seeing anything like them. Was the car ever in Europe where they have the wide license tags or any sign of a trailer hitch.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 10:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm looking at a photograph of an export (RHD) 1955 Clipper taken when new, and the rear license plate is mounted in the conventional location, so I'd agree with HH that the extra holes were most probably done post-manufacture by a prior owner for whatever reason.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Maybe a previous owner had a trailer hitch mounted that used those holes.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 11:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If so, I'd hope he added some structural reinforcement there as I believe the bumper is unsupported by even the bumper irons in that area.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
The car was in the US till the 70's and then imported to Mexico, as far as I understand. So, the holes were most probably made by somebody.

What about the other reinforcement plate in my first question? It seems to go under the bumper but uses the same two holes that hold the license plate holder in place. It just seems to much to have reinforcement for that purpose. Any ideas?

Thanks,
victor

Posted on: 2010/11/10 14:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mine has no reinforcement on either end. The front is bolted to the bottom side center of top bar of bumper using a bracket with an angle of maybe 80 degrees so license hangs down over lower grill opening and the back bracket is bolted top of bumper at just about 90 degrees and sits like yours.

Have you looked under the car to see if there are any extra holes in the frame ends or bumper support areas or any additional reinforcement on the frame rails. Packard issued a bulletin 55T-27 with some fairly detailed reinforcement instructions on adding a trailer hitch. Maybe if any of those are there or any other unaccounted holes, the ones in bumper are just left overs from that.

I wonder if that plate you have actually went on top of bumper either like you are holding it or maybe turned around. Possibly bolted to something else that was also using the other holes in bumper.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The plate you mention is only used on the 55 senior cars that had the stainless steel extender strip along the top edge of the bumper. It went on the underside. It was not needed on the 56s.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 18:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved