Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Oil Line Restrictor?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
On the 327 I'm prepping to install there is the typical bypass filter setup mounted to the head. While taking the lines and filter apart to prep it, i recall reading that there should be some kind of restrictor in the line so that the bearings get full oil pressure. Where should this restrictor be installed and what does it look like? I haven't found anything but a brass T (from block to oil pressure sending and the T side goes to lines that go into the filter, then out of the filter to the block where it looks like it just exits into the pan, and the last of the T just goes back into the block.)

Picture attached. Would like to make sure it's in place if it's supposed to have one. Maybe the T is the restrictor? The holes in it seem smaller than a normal T, is there a drill bit size i should measure with?

Thanks all!

Attach file:

jpg  (107.76 KB)
1420_4ce030db5c6f9.jpg 1200X896 px

Posted on: 2010/11/14 13:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Line Restrictor?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
On my '47 the oil pressure restrictor is in the oil filter housing. Sometimes (quite often actually) in doing a search on site you will discover that a topic has been covered before. Here is a link which may help.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=896&forum=2&post_id=14071#forumpost14071

Posted on: 2010/11/14 14:09

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also look at the brass tee. There may be one opening smaller than the others.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

clipper47 wrote:
Sometimes (quite often actually) in doing a search on site you will discover that a topic has been covered before. Here is a link which may help.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=896&forum=2&post_id=14071#forumpost14071

Thank you for the link!

I know we love to tell people to do searches, but frankly, searches here suck. I never seem to be able to find a thread that i KNOW i read before.

I DID do a search for oil restrictor, oil canister, and a few others and just found a thread from a 30's packard about the oil restrictor hole being around .05 to .06, not describing it's location or if it was a fitting, etc.

No one like's to answer the same questions over and over, but when you look and can't find anything because you didn't think to phrase it like someone else did, well there's bound to be redundant questions. Especially considering that it's a small hole in the oil filter housing that's bound to be overlooked.

HH56:

Both of the parts of the T where the lines pass through are small inside, slightly larger than 1/16 (5/64th drill bit fit snug actually) but the side that screws into the block and the part that the oil pressure sending unit screw into are a lot larger (almost the size of the line connecting to the other sides, like 5/16.)

Does anyone know why one line goes right back into the block?

Also, this is a hydraulic lifter motor if that makes a difference. From what i'm reading in the other thread, it does seem to. I will look for some manuals to see how packard did it so i can better tell what's going on in this setup.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/11/14 16:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is oiling schematic. Bottom connection comes directly from oil pump via main gallery, exits block and loops back into the top connection which goes to lifter gallery. There may be a restriction feeding that outlet as well as filter which is kind of what the tee indicates. Some early engines put the filter in series in that loop. Later engines with hydraulics just had the pigtail connection to ensure good oil supply to lifters if filter clogged with filter coming off the main pressure and exiting back into pan.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.08 KB)
209_4ce05d1c57b53.jpg 666X466 px

Posted on: 2010/11/14 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
OK THAT makes sense of what i was reading on the other thread. So it's ok that they restricted the feed to the lifters. Also, this setup seems to look like a lot of others' setups in the link clipper gave me above, so i have to assume that it was put together correctly before i got it unless i see a problem later. Thank you both for the help!

Posted on: 2010/11/14 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There should be no restriction in the oil line to the tappets. The restriction should be on the oil filter side.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/15 12:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed! The idea is that tappets always get the oil. Oil is going to follow the path of least resistance, so that is why the restrictor is on the filter side. That was "some" of the oil is filter while still supply the upper end of the motor with adequate supply.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 13:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
The only "restrictor" in the "pigtail" side of the oil line is that the T has a smaller than optimal hole in the line going to that side (Actually both lines but no restriction on the part of the T going to the sending unit. Looks like a special T).

I would think that the small hole in the center of the oil canister being a lot smaller than either side of the T would mean back pressure would force most of the oil to the pigtail/tappet side.

this looks like a T made for this purpose...if i drilled out the side going to the pigtail, would that negate some reason for it being slightly less than optimal in the first place? I hate to drill it and not be able to find another T again if it causes pressure loss on the bottom end.

See pics below of the straight through gauge connection and the smaller side line connections to oil filter and pigtail.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.94 KB)
1420_4ce17c7bdec3d.jpg 1200X896 px

jpg  (90.39 KB)
1420_4ce17c868c351.jpg 1200X896 px

Posted on: 2010/11/15 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would like to hear from folks who have seen a fitting like yours. I would suspect that a normal fitting would be used with a restricter fitting on the oil filter side or a built-in restricter in the filter assembly. Kevin?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved