Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

29tons, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Interesting '55 Packard 400 on Ebay
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I've always heard that the 400's made late in the model year were adorned like 1956 models in some cases. Here is a probable example. I also think Mike Dulinski's 55 Packard in Minnesnoda has similar 1956 trim.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-packard-/330496732403?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cf323ecf3#v4-44

Posted on: 2010/11/19 19:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Interesting '55 Packard 400 on Ebay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The 400 is not built on a Caribbean chassis. I like the twin spots w/mirrors (but then I'm prejudiced). Interior doesn't look too bad. Where is the radiator? This could be a good vehicle depending on the reserve.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 19:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's a "well" known fact that when the '56 models came out a lot of people took their cars into the dealership to get the trim added to make them look like the newer models, as well as some dealerships doing it on their own to move unsold cars.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 19:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I once owned a '55 Pat that, judging from its serial number, was built somewhere in the first half of 55th Series production. It had the ribbed side trim aft of the courtesy lights, as in used '56, and even used all of the factory-correct related fasteners. However, the holes appeared to be drilled, rather than punched as the factory would have been. Also, there was no ribbbed trim on the rear, below the trunk opening, like other '56 Patricians and Foru Hundreds.

Thus, I concluded that it was done by a Packard dealer for someone who wanted a '56 but (for whatever reason) couldn't get one. It's really not difficult to accomplish when you had access to all the right parts, new. Yet, I suppose the parts could have been obtain from a wreck, and the work done even much later.

Regardless of manufacturer, I've heard all sorts of tales about and even seen some evidence of parts from the next model year being used to help finish the current year's production run, as supplies of existing parts were exhausted. However, I've never heard that the 56th Series ribbed side trim was one of them.

Posted on: 2010/11/20 10:53
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
this car is located near the 911 site in pa,now,i bought it because it had the twin spotlights,and the extra chrome on the quarter panels,,anyone out there like to donate any extra parts to this project,i sure would appreciate them,,thanks,,joe

Posted on: 2011/1/5 16:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I have heard of other makes bringing out special trim models mid year to boost sales in the fifties. Plymouth and American Motors come to mind. They often had a regional theme and were confined to a few states.

Could Packard have dressed up some cars this way? I suppose it would show up in dealer bulletins if they did.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I have heard of other makes bringing out special trim models mid year to boost sales in the fifties. . .Could Packard have dressed up some cars this way?

Ever heard of the Executive?

Craig

Posted on: 2011/1/5 19:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Was the Executive a mid year introduction? I never knew what role it was meant to play.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 23:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It was a mid to late year into. Abrupt change. Clipper Custom was there one day, then gone and Packard Executive on sale the next. Someone wanting a "prestige" Packard could now afford and buy one--for roughly the same price as a Clipper the week before

Believe it was intended for the junior businessmen types who couldn't quite afford the big time yet. One of the Packard books authors mentioned they had called it the car for the man on the way up.

Packards official statement on the purpose:

Attach file:

jpg  (9.17 KB)
209_4d254f03545f3.jpg 744X75 px

Posted on: 2011/1/6 0:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Joe,
Congratulations on your Packard purchase and to Packardinfo.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 2:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved