Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

Packard Lover, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Ivory Steering Wheel 48-54 Reproduction Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Mmmm... ivory. When I was a teenager in the sixties, my dad bought a new Mercedes 250S, and it had an ivory steering wheel. Subsequently, when I was in art school in the early seventies, I owned several Mercedes with ivory wheels. I've been fond of them since then, but they weren't translucent. The Packard wheel must be something.

I'll bet I can duplicate that translucent ivory Packard wheel. Base coat ivory with a tri-coat clear pearl over it is what I can imagine without seeing one in person.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 17:21
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
What was IMO probably the most spectacular and elegant wheel of the era was the one used on Chrysler that was clear translucent plastic with randomly dispersed metallic flake. Don't recall what years and models used it, perhaps just Chrysler and just pre-war and just post-war. Anyone ever seen one?

Quote:
"...you couldn't see any metal supports in the the clear circumference plastic as is found in a typical wheel..."

Dave, clear translucent plastic? Howard, no metal supports? Sounds like Packard!

Click to see original Image in a new window
Pacifica Concept

Attach file:

jpg  (38.37 KB)
757_4fc18afdae1a9.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 2012/5/26 21:01
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting, but as far as I know not a correct authentic wheel for a Pan American. They used essentially a stock senior wheel.

PS Gusha, is that photo supposed to be a bona fide Pan American? Window sills and some other features don't look correct though I suppose there were some small differences between the cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.36 KB)
177_4fc18e80e5e2f.jpg 539X441 px

Posted on: 2012/5/26 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, when it comes to inspect a Packard, then you have X-ray eyes but to read captions isn't your strong point.
The pictures show this dubious "retro concept car" --> Pacifica with retractable hardtop.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/5/26 21:37
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Gusha, Calling it "dubious" is being too kind.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I've had a nice result by painting the wheel ivory or antique white and then giving it about 4 coats of clear with a tad of the antique white mixed in. This give a hint of the translucent effect at a fraction of the cost of a recast. Always do the shift knob and turn signal knob at the same time so they match.

Joeyearl, if you want to see what it looked like, just check out your hood release knobs. They were cast from the same Tenite material as the deluxe wheel.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Ross, that makes sense. I only have the right hand knob, and it's yellowed with age, but I may try wet sanding and buffing it to see if I can determine the original color.

Tenite. I'll have to Google that. I think there was a song in West Side Story...

Posted on: 2012/5/27 15:39
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I see now... Tenite is a cellulosic plastic made from wood. Eastman Kodak formulated it in 1929. Interesting.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenite

Posted on: 2012/5/27 18:32
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If your remaining knob is yellowed and not good enough for a decent match, Yesterdays Radiohttp://yesterdaysradio.com/ reproduces some knobs for the 48-54. Perhaps he might have an inexpensive knob in the ivory or some scrap material you could obtain to get a closer match on the paint.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 18:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved