Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 32 »

Re: Fun with used cars
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'll take a stab at it.
Oldest - Ross
next - Gravely
Youngest - Packard

Posted on: 2013/9/2 22:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On the way home from the hardware store last night on a dark back road I see something move on my left and a buck decides to cross in front of the car. The car hauls down quick and straight and I only just nipped him with the right headlight. Only need to to replace the sealed beam and repair the rim retainer. No sheetmetal damage.

Just another reminder why all Packards should have new brake tubing.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.76 KB)
618_526aa4ca7e268.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/10/25 12:05
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross glad it was a minor encounter! And agreed on the brakes.

Those headlight retainer clips break if you even look at them wrong. I have two or three rings with missing clips.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 12:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
JB Weld is your friend when it comes to the clips.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 15:14
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was thinking you could drill into the rivet area, and then tap it for a couple of small screws

Posted on: 2013/10/26 13:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There being such a glut of unwanted junior cars I am continually in a quandary how to add value and interest to them. I have long wanted to do something with the 22-23d series and have pondered long and hard. My usual style of pickup conversion would be ungainly.

Enter this 22nd Eight shortly on its way to the crusher. I find using tools much easier then learning computer programs so whupped this up with a cutsaw, cardboard, and rattle cans in a 3D redneck virtual reality. Squint a little and imagine the corners much more nicely rounded at the back of the bed.

I particularly wanted to check the possibility of shortening the roof 24" as these cars taper out and then back in very much from front to back. It works, but with some difficulty.

Rear doors would remain, sans handle, for access to storage under the bed. Front edge of the bed would be at about the forward edge of the old parcel shelf, and fold down for extra loadspace a la Avalanche.

Will be looking for a suitable candidate to bring this to reality. Anyone care to place an order?

Attach file:

jpg  (84.97 KB)
618_52928a5366678.jpg 704X528 px

jpg  (119.99 KB)
618_52928a64f1c1e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (108.61 KB)
618_52928a79f2389.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (125.32 KB)
618_52928a93442cd.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/11/24 18:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Can't tell by the pictures, how long would the Packup bed be in length?

How about a blackwood / SSR / Montecarlo version?

Posted on: 2013/11/24 20:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I like it Ross! But how about getting rid of the 2nd door and keep the trunk; first thing I thought after looking at the pictures was that it hadthe dna of a 120 3 window business coupe

Posted on: 2013/11/24 20:11
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Looks like you lose a lot of length with that roof treatment that could otherwise be used for the bed.

Hudson went with a traditional vertical treatment in that area, but while I have long-admired those pickups, they look a bit awkward from the rear 3/4.

However, if you eliminated the quarter/window, you could move the rear of the roof forward and gain quite a bit more bed length. Think of the profile of the Dodge/DeSoto business coupes of the period, with their long rear decks.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 20:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Might be able to push the roof forward a few more inches but not much; the problem is that the arch of the door frame and and roof will become very pronounced at the joint and hard to smooth out. I like the "bubble" effect.

The bed is about 5 feet as is. That's big enough to haul its own engine to the machine shop for reboring, 6 1/2 feet with the tailgate down, and almost 8 feet with the inner gate down. Width is less than 4 feet as the inner fenders and the general shape of the car prohibits more. But load is not so much the point anyway.

I was pondering the club coupe idea but that decklid is way beyond my metalforming skills.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 8:25
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved