Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Flywheel Dimensions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Here I am again looking at Packard flywheels, thinking I just got screwed again. The flywheel I won on e-bay advertised as a Packard V8 manual flywheel is 14.25" in overall diameter, where as I could have sworn the V8 manual flywheel is 15.25" overall diameter. Since I don't have a verified manual flywheel for a Packard V8, can someone who has one measure the V8 flywheel for me and let me know the overall diameter? I used to have this info somewhere but I can't seem to be able to find it. On the other hand, If I'm going to be going back the the straight eights, I guess I now have 3 manual flywheels to choose from! This is the flywheel I won recently:

Attach file:

jpg  (18.10 KB)
34_477ad9c58a283.jpg 400X301 px

Posted on: 2008/1/1 19:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Flywheel Dimensions
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the hub of the flywheel will bolt to the crank and the ring gear matches that of a T'Ultra torque converter ring gear then what else could it be????

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It helps when you have a loose Ultramatic flexplate to compare to, which I don't. I do however have a KNOWN straight eight flywheel out of a 1948 Packard that's exactly like the other two I have.

Incidentally, a straight eight flywheel will bolt up to a V8 crank, as all the Packard cranks appear to have the same mountings.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Gimme about 15 minutes and i'll go out to the shop to measure a T'Ultra ring gear.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'd appreciate it, CLOCK'S TICKING!!! LOL!

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The RInG GEAR overall diameter is 15.25 inches. Taken from my 56 Executive parts car engine.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Figures... Anyone need a straight eight manual flywheel? I would imagine that the manual flywheel is the same as the auto, so it looks like I was bent over the barrel again! I've got $300 in two V8 flywheels, and they're not even V8 flywheels! Good thing I'm going to straight eight's, these V8's are KILLING ME!!

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If they are streight 8 flywheels and u are going to streight 8's then why not just keep them???

Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't really need 3 flywheels, 2 is plenty. Actually, I'm contacting the seller to see if I can return it. Besides, it's not like they're unobtainium, I keep finding them everywhere....

Posted on: 2008/1/1 21:02
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved