Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

Peter Packard, michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

ZIL 111 vol 2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Since I am unable to post any new messages in to old topic that also contains partly deleted information from one of our former colleague in this forum,I desided to make a new on.
I feel that the silence in this part of the sub-forum has been going on way to long and its time to boost the old forgotten topic back to life.

And starting from this fact forward:
One day In a local forum this was posted:
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/109188
For some of the ZIL-111 topic readers this car should be familiar of its the only Estonian ZIL 111 that exists to this day. I have to say it has been for sale 3 months new,
maybe its the value of the car of the lack of interest. I dont know I let the readers to judge that.

But the most interesting thing is the engine nr thats described on the VIN tag as nr 064(see pictures below)
For me it raised many questions that need to be investigated.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/11/27 12:04
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print 

Re: ZIL 111 vol 2
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Yes please keep the Zil, Zis Forum alive. These are very interesting cars. Thank you.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
The fact is I was first not sure as I should continue the work or not but I have new desidet to the the matter in my own hands.

Back to ZIL talks:
I was once asked whats the difference among Soviet car. In the old days they us to say that 6 people would drive in a [[ZAZ 965]] and only one person in a [[GAZ 21]] Volga.
But then dose that apply to ZIL(refered here as ZIL 111) cars, I wondered.
As I look back some of the old posts in this forum, ZIL was a parade car(limousine) but as I look at some pictures usually there are
2-4 persons in one car. So how dose it comes to that?
First off let us not forget the political elite of the Soviet union had there own guards placed near them in case of a emergency. On a larger parade where the first secretary of the Communist party(leader of the Soviet union) would be present, the ZIL car was acompanyed by [[GAZ 13]] and [[GAZ 23]].
Its not coinsidental but if you leave out the risk of been stalked by assasins and security issues there is a more different reason. But heres where the readers can say there thoughts.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 14:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I look forward to the updating of this topic as I found it interesting. On a subject not normally covered in detail in the US I say do it and we will read it and enjoy

Posted on: 2010/11/27 15:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
To close the last story I told in my previous post:
I gave a thought about the costs of makeing a ZIL car, since all of them are/where hand made and a really low number of vehicles was made and only for special purpouses only. A loss of a ZIL car in thouse days would have costet the state a lot of money. From looking at that perspective no wonder ZIL cars are ever rare in these days. And why the V8 personal vehicles didnt make it to be mass produced car in the USSR.
For instance [[GAZ 13]] and [[GAZ 14]] where made in larger numbers and some where also introduced as a export vehicles(number of sold cars unknowen).

But as for the for sale ZIL-111A I hope it will still remain in Estonia. Allthough storys have reached me that the owner has some financial issuse that need sorted out. In that light I can understand the need to sell the vehicle.
My reason for hoping that the vehicle will stay in Estonia is, that its the only one we have and I hope to take pictures of it before its to late. The pictures of the same car in the old topic are all deleted so I have to start from scrach.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 12:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
But what is this:http://www.autobild.de/artikel/neue-staatskarosse-fuer-putin-1290937.html
MY first tought was that it was a joke when I heard my frend talking about it, but since I found his source I have to reconsider my ideas.

Are we going to see the new ZIL vehicles in production,
I wonder or is this just another idea on paper. But by looking the last statements made by [[Vladimir Putin]] : the forgotten russian car industry has to be but in to life. Since the collaps of the USSR some car plants have been closed, other are still in work but they more assemble foregin cars.
Maybe the ZIL cars re-emerging from the dust is something the really need.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Pictures source:http://fishki.net

The new consept vehicle is interesting more like a mix of the old and new.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 12:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMHO, think they have a bit more work to do. It looks like something designed by a committee. Reminds me of an old 70's Lincoln front and general shape with maybe a same vintage TBird or Chrysler product in back. Even for a limo, the proportions are not quite right.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 13:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
For me it looks more like a redesigned Cadillac Escalede front and the back is a mix of different cars.
Howard, its not jet fulle desided if this car is going to be produced, I will keep my eyes open for any news or change on that front. This is a consept vehicle on paper and
maybe there have been allready modifications made.
Since all the ZIS-ZIL cars routs can be traced back to there beginning so is this car more towards the old whit a littel modern features. The Russian design has always been more the old fashion way, that why there car industry hase a hard time moving forward from old consepts.Its more whit in the people as I understand and the back ground.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 15:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Take a look at the ZIl 111 in the following link to the pic.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7441&forum=8&post_id=79807#forumpost79807

Do i see what appears to be leaf spring shackels under the front????

I'm wondering what year that Zill 111 is. Note what resembles a pair of rectangular headlites inset to the grill. That would be ca. 1975 or later for US. Not sure about Russian introduction of rectangular headlites.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 22:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Do i see what appears to be leaf spring shackels under the front????...

Yes, it looks like that and has nothing to do with a Zil but rather with a self propelled beet harvester.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.75 KB)
757_4e01c6c595149.jpg 375X500 px

jpg  (31.97 KB)
757_4e01c6d5ace67.jpg 500X376 px

Posted on: 2011/6/22 5:41
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved