Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Speedo problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I guess I have the 'shitus touch' because I fix one thing and another goes wrong, almost immediately. I fixed the pushbutton hunting issue and took the 56 Exec out for a drive. A horrible whining sound came from the speedo along with the needle going from 0 - 120 and bouncing everywhere in between. I stopped the car and checked behind the speedo for a loose cable connection, it was tight. I continued on and the noise was intermittent. I was far from home and headed back when the noise returned with a vengeance and the needle just came off and fell down out of sight.

I guess I should've disconnected the cable at the first sign of trouble, but I didn't and now I have no speedo. Can my speedo be fixed and do I need to pull my dash to get it out?

Thanks again for your wisdom and help,

Bob

Posted on: 2010/11/29 11:03
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Speedo problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
You will have to remove the speedometer from the car. I found the best way to do this is to remove the glove compartment and work from there instead of under the dash. You are going to skin your knuckles and have to use small screw drivers to remove the speedo assembly, dash voltage regulator and various wires. Keep track of what you remove or get a copy of the wiring diagram. The regulator is a pain in the a.., and you may want to relocate it in a more convenient location under the dash or firewall. Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 11:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You do not have to pull the dash. The speedo is held onto the cluster by 5 screws and will come out by itself with some twisting to let the dial clear the opening. Several have had the problem and unless you are really lucky, find the needle and are able to replace it, I believe the end result is speedo usually winds up replaced. The shaft shifts or breaks allowing the cup assy to fall onto the spinning magnet causing internal damage. You can look in Hemmings. I believe there is an instrument repair shop or two that works on King-Seely and possibly can repair it.

Here is one incident and a picture of the cluster.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=31077#forumpost31077 Brandon had a similar problem in his 56 as did another one or two posters.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 11:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The root cause of failure is usually lack of lubrication of the speedo. After 50 years they are usually bone dry and need some attention.

"When in doubt, lubricate." - Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Posted on: 2010/11/29 12:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
The root cause of failure is usually lack of lubrication of the speedo. After 50 years they are usually bone dry and need some attention.

"When in doubt, lubricate." - Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Wise words, indeed. I have heard and will look for other items that may need it. I hopw that it will prevent some other problems. I'll also keep you posted on my speedo replacement or repair.

Thanks again for the help (this means so much to me, I hope that I can help others).

Bob

Posted on: 2010/11/29 14:06
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The "whipping" of the speedometer needle is caused by the temporary "winding up" of the speedo cable, then momentary release. It can be caused by lack of lurbrication in either the speedo or the cable, impossible to tell.

All Packard speedos form 1935 up and probably earlier have a tiny lubrication "cup" just above wherethe cable attaches.
It can be lubricated without removing hte speedometer, either with a 3 in 1 type can with a needle-like spout or an eye dropper.

Although you cannot see the oil cup in the '56 or even feel it, it is just below the screw that is just above the cable attachin point. A little extra oil slobbered there won't hurt anything.

Lube the cable, do NOT use any grease as many of them get thick when cold and will cause the same or worse problem. Unscrew the cable at the speedo, lower it beneath the dash and withdraw the caable core being careful to keep it from touching the seats or upholstery, it's ususlly greasy black.

Clean the core with solvent, then take some graphite in a plastic "squeeze tube" and put some into the speedo sheath,
then replace the core and reattach the cable

"Do it once and do it right" Good for 50,000 more miles, guaranteed.

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/29 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
It' funny that you mention the graphite powder as I had purchased that very thing a week ago. I was warned about the grease hardening issue so I bought the powder. Only I failed to do it in time before the needle flew off of it's shaft

Bob

Posted on: 2010/11/29 17:36
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At one time I used white grease (Lubriplate) on the cable, but the last few times I've done one I've used 85W gear oil with fine results thus far. Certainly Fred's admonition against using grease is well-taken.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
My speedometer failed at the national Packard meet in South Bend a few years ago. The speedometer is not easy to get at and as I have aged I had a difficult time contorting my body to get at it. Finally a simple solution presented itself, I removed the front seat. That is about a 15 minute task. I was able to lay lenghtwise and have a friend be a "gopher" so I did not have to get out for the inevitable next tool that I needed. My speedometer was rebuilt with all nos parts by a great shop in Pontiac Michigan called Scott Speedometer that has been in business 50 years.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I know this topic is for a speedo from a 56, but can someone point out the oil hole that is being discussed? Attached pic is a '51 instrument cluster. I checked mine out, but I do not see an oil hole. May be helpful for others in the future (as well as myself) if we point out exactly where to put the oil.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.77 KB)
508_4cf46f8d73991.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/11/29 22:29
[url=h
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved