Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

V8 gas mileage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

RichardCL
See User information
Hello,

What is the normal gas mileage in the city and on the highway for the V8's? I am a Canadian and I would imagine that the responses will be in US gallons which are four fifths of the Imperial measure that was used here in Canada.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Richard

Posted on: 2010/11/29 20:00
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 gas mileage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a thread from earlier this year with some info. There was another similar last year as I remember. Might do a search.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=59101#forumpost59101

Posted on: 2010/11/29 20:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Richard. This topic was explored a while back with many V8 owners contributing info on their gas mileages with the 55/56 cars. I suppose you could find the old data with the search function, but maybe someone will come along and provide a link to it.

Maybe I found it myself, try this:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5578&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2010/11/29 20:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

RichardCL
See User information
Thank you Owen and Howard for your responses.

Richard

Posted on: 2010/11/30 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
56 Exec w 352 and 4bbl/T'ultra.
13.53 mpg over a 115 mile round trip. Very cold weather this morning for warm up.

THat versus 12.2 mpg that i have recorded for last january.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 22:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I was wondering if it possible that the new fuels don't give the mileage we use to get in the 50s and 60s. I know the octane level is lower now. I remember 100 octane and if you went to some stations you could brew up to 110' I remember my first Packard that I bought while in the Army at Fort Bliss in the early 60s would get over 300 miles on a tank and still would not be entirely empty.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 23:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
True that the super-premium gasolines are gone, much to the dismay of my 56 Caribbean. But I think the regular grades are of at least the same octane as the 50s and probably higher. But I believe it' the incorporation of ethanol that is primarily responsible for lesser mileage, I've seen the number of about a 7% penalty published several times. If you go back to the year before and first year of ethanol and then look at the EPA mileage ratings for cars with the same powerplant, I think that may confirm it.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 10:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
O_D mentions
I've seen the number of about a 7% penalty published several times

Sounds like a perfect catch 22 to me. Use ethanol to stretch the gas supply and "clean the air" but lower the mileage so a car will need more gas and thus emit more pollutants while doing it.
Bureaucracy strikes again--or would that more fit the typical right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 10:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"Sounds like a perfect catch 22 to me. Use ethanol to stretch the gas supply and "clean the air" but lower the mileage so a car will need more gas and thus emit more pollutants while doing it."

That describes about every attempt ever made since the early 70's to "clean the air".

Posted on: 2010/12/10 10:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
O_D mentions
I've seen the number of about a 7% penalty published several times

...Bureaucracy strikes again--or would that more fit the typical right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Naw, it ain't that complicated: The corporate corn growers have a powerful lobby.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/10 11:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved