Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard V8 in a Studebaker C-cab truck
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
by PackardV8 on 2010/11/30 14:19:37 Maybe ssaeger and JV can get a truck with 374 thread going on this forum. I'd really like to follow the projects.

Like any engine swap, the devil is in the details. There is plenty of room in a C-cab Stude as it was designed to take the relatively large Stude V8. However, making the longer Packard V8 fit and look right in there is a lot more work than it might appear at first.

I was ready to drop in the completed engine when a detour arose. Vintage Air has been persuaded to build a bolt-in heater/AC unit for the C-cab. I'm getting one of the first units for a beta test. This requires reworking the front accessory drive and fabricating an AC compressor mount. Much easier to do with the engine on a stand.

ssaeger, which transmission are you using in your build?

I looked at every automatic and 4,5,6-speed manual transmission manufactured in the past sixty years. After much, much consideration, I decided this was a Studebaker-Packard-shoulda-done-it-as-an-option build. Thus, the way to go was with the Studebaker truck T85/T89 3-speed w/overdrive. It is just a great light truck transmission and relatively easy to make fit the Packard V8. It uses the same main case as the Packard version of the T85, but with a short tailshaft and different, lower first and second gear ratios.

There is no commercially available floor shifter kit. Trying to use car components puts the shifter back under the driver's right leg and makes for long, crooked shift rods. I bought an old Hurst shifter and made my own bracket and shifter arms and rods. This took two solid days to design and fabricate. The result is the shifter forward and toward the middle of the tunnel, as it should be on a truck. These shift rods are the shortest, straightest, strongest you'll ever see.

Click to see original Image in a new window

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/11/30 12:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard V8 in a Studebaker C-cab truck
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ssaeger
See User information
Jack...you are definitely correct in the attention to detail when putting these things together. Fortunately my father is an automotive machinist and mechanic and has massive experience with this. What he has found is that he has a 4 speed manual transmission out of an old Mustang II that is a perfect fit other then machining a little length off the snout that connects to the engine. I have a new Ford 9" rear end going in it as well. I have the luxury right now that the truck is at a bare frame level so we can work slowly and diligently on getting all the alignments etc. correct.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/11/30 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Jack,
Does mean that the A/C comp bracket and acc. drive might be commercially available for the Packard V8? Sure would be nice for those of us that lack the tools for fabrication.
Bill

Posted on: 2010/11/30 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Does mean that the A/C comp bracket and acc. drive might be commercially available for the Packard V8?

Probably not. I've talked with the president of Vintage Air and he has agreed to look at what I come up with. The problem with keeping the OEM generator and PS pump requires the AC to sit on top and displace either the oil filter or the oil filler tube. Neither is an ideal solution.

Quote:
he has a 4 speed manual transmission out of an old Mustang II that is a perfect fit other then machining a little length off the snout that connects to the engine.

Borg-Warner built transmissions for all the major manufacturers. Ford used a lot of them. Studebaker and Packard used the Ford bolt pattern version of the T85, T86 and the T10. In '63 Ford started making their own transmissions and kept the B-W bolt pattern until '65. Most of the Ford manual transmissions after '65 were a dual pattern and would fit either the earlier B-W or later Fords, with a change of front bearing retainer. Ford had two different input shaft lengths, big block and small block. So bottom line, yes, most Ford manual transmissions can be made to fit a Packard. As can AMC and Studebaker versions.

Because Stude trucks with the 4-speed are ALWAYS geared way too low for today's highway speeds and because I wanted to keep my Budd wheels, an overdrive was mandatory. I could have gone with using a Studebaker or AMC or Ford T10 and adding an overdrive, but I didn't like the passenger car ratios for a 3/4t truck. You chose a Ford 9", which has a different bolt pattern, but you've probably got different goals than I had.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/11/30 15:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Here is the short block with the modified Ford dump truck pistons I used. This gives 364". Using them require custom machine work on both the pistons and the connecting rods. The top ring groove has a cast iron insert for heavy duty full throttle longevity. Downside is they are heavier than the hubs of hell. Notice the dish which closely matches the Packard combustion chamber. The block was decked square and the pistons are installed only .005" below the block deck surface.

Click to see original Image in a new window

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/11/30 16:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ssaeger
See User information
Yeah...I havent completely decided on what I am going to run on the rear for a bolt pattern. I have the Turner Brake conversion on the front with the Impala hubs. I most likely will run the same on the rear. The rearend I purchased was built new with center section and tubes so I have the option finishing it off the way I like.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/11/30 16:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ssaeger
See User information
Very nice picture Jack! I will be sure my father photo documents the process of the rebuild for everyone to see if they like. The block and all is being steam cleaned now and then the machining will start as well as a balance job.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/11/30 16:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved