Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tuning?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Pack54
See User information
Does anybody know if there ever was any performance parts made for the inline 8s? Or if you have any tips on how to squeeze more power out of them?

Olle, Sweden.

Posted on: 2010/12/2 6:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Tuning?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Occasionally two carb manifolds made by Edmunds show up for sale on ebay etc. That is the only performance item I have ever seen for Packard engines other than the "High Compression" head offered on the 356 engine which yielded 5 additional horsepower (Yipeee!).

Posted on: 2010/12/2 8:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Turbo had the straight eight performance figured out:

Two turbos, fuel injection, digital ignition and cram it into the smallest car.

Less than that, i don't think you could do a lot to wake these motors up since the compression is really THAT LOW and the intake and exhaust flow setup isn't that optimal on a flathead engine. It's more than comparing cubes when it comes to horsepower, and the straight eight was designed to be basic, reliable, torquey, and smooth. It accomplishes all of that.

Posted on: 2010/12/2 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
'Porting' and cleaning up the intake/exhaust runners behind the valves will help a little. I would also recomend an Electronic ignition. (Ignitor I think is the brand I have)

Chrome acorn head nuts are good for a few Hp A fan clutch would also save a 1 or 2 ponys for the wheels.

Posted on: 2010/12/2 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I have several friends who modify and race Flathead ford V8's and a lot of the tech will carry over. Empire motors out of Elpaso TX sells repro Edmunds heads manifolds and split cast iron exhaust manifolds but there pricey and i have heard there is a long waiting list. most cam companys can regrinding the cam for you i got quoted $125 from Lunati. Porting and polishing will give you a good jump as well as a lighter rotating assembly. a Pertronix module and a switch to 12 volt ignition would help or you can get a magneto from Joe Hunt. a modern over drive trans either and auto or a standard will keep rpm's down. and if you wanted to get even more power forced induction is always an option. Remember an engine of any make is just an air pump and the faster you get air into and out of it the more power you will make even with a Packard 8. There are very few "after market" parts for these engines and you really have to get back to your hot rodding roots to make them perform

Posted on: 2012/1/18 22:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved