Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 135

su8overdrive, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Leaking Twin Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
My clipper 1956 is leaking trans fluid (while driving and just after having been driven), between the converter housing and the transmission, but seemingly only after having been driven for more than approx. 3-4 miles.
Otherwise I can not detect any leaks. The trans fluid level is correct.
Has anybody a suggestion for what`s most probable
causing the leak?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Posted on: 2010/12/9 12:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Leaking Twin Ultramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A few possibilities in that location. One poster just went thru that scenario and found his pump shaft bolts to converter had loosened. Another possibility might be a loose drain plug on converter. Another is the front transmission seal.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 12:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Second those recommendations. Has it ever been rebuilt and when? Correct me if i'm wrong, but those front seals go more often than bolts coming lose and will leave you stranded if it totally fails. If it's not loose drain plugs (which would make sense that you need a couple miles to really start to notice it.) and you have to take the tranny down to check those bolts, i'd be replacing that seal anyways.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I don`t know whether it has been overhauled or not, but might have been around 1990.

Tom

Posted on: 2010/12/9 13:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My Twin Ultra front leak was the O-ring between the halves of the torque converter. After disassembly I could see the O-ring was slightly twisted and pinched when installed. According to Dan Kanter and others I've spoken with, this type of leak is quite rare. I suspect that 90% of the time or more, it's the front seal.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks for your input.

Tom

Posted on: 2010/12/11 6:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved