Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

6 in a 54... crazy?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I have a lead on a near rust free 54 Clipper Deluxe, with no engine. I also have a real fondness for flattie 6 cyls. Would it be difficult or nuts to put a 40s era Packard 6 in a 54? Anybody someone who's done it? I've grown to like the 54s a lot for their conservative but updated Rinehart body style.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 15:14
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 in a 54... crazy?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ought to get some interesting opinions. Mine would be the long engine compt. That motor is going to require some innovative motor mounts which might get close to steering & you'll need a different radiator mount etc if you go backwards with engine. If you keep it forward, the rear mount and a fairly long drive shaft might need some thought.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I bet a good mechanic could do it with a little adapting here and there but why? You would have to install a lower geared rear axle gear set to keep decent low speed pickup and that would make it revvy at higher speeds. When you consider today's highway speeds, not too good an idea.

This may be why Packard dropped the six, it was no longer suitable for all around use given the higher speeds that were expected in the post war era. Only the taxis were made with sixes, for a while, and they were meant for urban use only.

On the whole it would be easier and better to find an eight cylinder of the correct type. They don't seem to be too rare.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I'm no Packard expert but would expect the rear of the engine and interface with the clutch and trans to be the same as the eight, or possibly a combination of six and eight parts.

The adapting would start with moving the front motor mounts back and likewise the exhaust pipe would need to be shorter. Neither of these should be very hard to do.

For the radiator, you should not need to move it. longer rad hoses plus a fan shroud would make up the difference in length. Many cars used such a shroud. Chevy V8 models had quite a long one so they could put the rad in the same spot as the 6. If you can't find one it should not be hard to make one out of sheet metal. A round drum shape that fits around the fan is all you need. Be sure to leave a couple of inches of clearance.

You might also need to clip a coil off the front springs to keep the front end from sticking up in the air. And, you may need lower rear axle gears.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Why? Sure an 8 would be no problem to find, but I like 6s, 3 spd sticks, and that body style, and they never came together. Don't care about highway, my '56 Olds Holiday 98 w/ A/C, Jetaway Hydramatic and Rocket V8 is for that. I want a local driver, 35-50 mph max. Thought it might be an interesting combination. How easily do-able is what I wanted to find out, if anyone has tried it before.
The idea of using a drum to make a shroud is an interesting one, thanks.

Posted on: 2010/12/12 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It should make a good combination if you are not in a hurry. Similar to an early 50s DeSoto, Kaiser or 1950 Studebaker Commander or Land Cruiser.

Don't take me too literally about the drum shaped fan shroud. The one I had in mind was just a strip of metal bent in a circle and stiffened with a bead roller.

Some cars used an extension to move the fan forward. That might be all you need. It should not be necessary to move the rad.

Posted on: 2010/12/12 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
If nothing else, there should be plenty of room for everything, since up to a 359 straight 8 was designed to go into that engine bay..

Posted on: 2010/12/14 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

In terms of power-to-weight ratio for four door sedans:
'47 Clipper Six, 245 ci, 105hp at 3600, 3495 lbs
'51 Clipper 200, 288 ci, 135hp at 3600, 3665 lbs
'54 Clipper Special, 288 ci, 150hp at 4000, 3650 lbs

If you're looking for leisurely acceleration, a '51 200 288 would be a bolt right in, probably perform about the same as the six would. Maybe you could put thick head gasket on it, reduce the compression to get down to 110hp.

It's your car, do what will make you happy with it.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/12/16 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The last Chrysler with a flathead six was a 1954. It weighed 3685 lbs and had a 119HP 265 cu in engine, and a 3.9 rear gear - 3.73 with Powerflite.

Your six cylinder 54 Clipper would be in the same ballpark. Today's owners of early fifties Chrysler and DeSoto sixes often consider them rather low geared for hiway work.

One solution to the gearing dilemma might be to adapt a modern 5 speed overdrive but this would require a floor shift. If you go this route the ones used in pickups and vans are best, the ones out of Mustangs and Camaros have the shift lever too far back.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 22:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
'47 Clipper 6 3495lb, '54 Clipper 288 3650lb... only 155 lb difference, and I'd imagine the 245 6 engine to be lighter than the 288 straight 8, so it might just about negate any difference. Anybody know engine weights? In any event, my goal is for a local putting around car, likely to never go over 50.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 11:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved