Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 54

BigKev, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Powder Coating
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi All,

I have been following a post on the AACA Gen Forum about Powder Coating.

I am having a few parts powder coated (brake/clutch lever and rods that are hidden under the car) to see how they turnout and may have more parts done if these parts turn out to my liking.

Has anyone else had anything powder coated done?

Any other comments I am open?

Thanks

Posted on: 2007/1/22 16:21
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Powder Coating
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Powder coating is basically plastic dust that is electo-statically sprayed on a part and then its baked at about 375 degrees which causes all the "dust" to melt together and provide a nice smooth finish on the part. Powder coating is very durable and can take a lot of abuse compared to regular pant. This is why people powder coat suspension parts and sometimes the entire frame. Power coating is typically much thicker than paint. But I would not recommend it for high-heat applications.

It's great for thinks like engine accessories, pulleys, brackets, radiator support, splash pans, air cleaners, henges, and things like that. The only downside is that you really cant get it custom shaded to match every color.

Posted on: 2007/1/22 19:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Kev,

Thanks for the response. I am having some parts coated with a chassis black and some with a higher gloss black. From there I will decided on what else I will get done. For the price it seems to be on the same level as having the parts painted by a shop or maybe a little cheaper.

I am doing this because now I can have the parts ready for when I reassemble the car and not have to worry about painting them. Even thou I like smell of the fumes.

Quote:

BigKev wrote:take a lot of abuse compared to regular pant.
This was another factor why I am trying it.

Have a nice evening
Tom

Posted on: 2007/1/22 20:25
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
I picked up the parts today. They turned out really well. A real close match to the parts that I had already Painted with POR15. . I will have some more done since these turn out. Was trying to save some money by painting them myself but this seems to be a better route since allot of my parts are bare metal right now. To cold for me to do any painting.

Posted on: 2007/1/24 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Some more parts are ready for pickup. Will get them next week. And will take some pictures.

O one more thing

GO BEARS GO

Well the monsters of midway did not show up. It was a good run.

Posted on: 2007/2/2 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Well I braved the cold -2deg F and drilled/cut the holes for the parking light in the fenders. I did it now because I will be dropping them off to have inner wells powder coated black. I had the rear ones, the long metal frame cover that goes under the doors, parts of the bumper that needed the be black, rear brake lever and rods and was going to have the drive shaft done but the lady called and said it made a mess out of their oven. She said there was/is a lot of grease inside them things so they could not do it I will just have to shoot it with POR15 then. They also primed and will be priming the outer part of the fenders for me. This way I will have them ready for spring to do the rest of the repairs on them. She is coming along.

So far the cost to have all these parts done was under $1000. That seemed to be pretty reasonable to me. Can I ask you all if I were to have someone paint these parts would I be wrong to say it probably would cost 5-6 times more or is even more then that?

P.S. I posted this on the other forum also but I figured I keep this one alive also.

Take Care
Have a nice night

Posted on: 2007/2/5 22:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved