Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Re: Brake Upgrade
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
six different part numbers. YES.
AND, apparently I'changeable from rite to left. Which strikes me as even more odd.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:32
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Response I got back from Turner Brake:

"Kevin,
Sorry in the Delay in getting back to You on Packard front disc brakes. I currently do not make them, But, If enough interest could be generated, a minimum of 20-25 "commitments" and if there would be enough call for them in the future. I would be interested in doing something. I have been in the Studebaker Drivers Club and involved in Studebakers since 1974.
I got involved in doing the Stude front disc brakes when I lived in Los Angeles, and I was driving my Avanti everyday! Even though the Avanti "was Americas" most advanced automobile (at that time) the brakes still sucked! <G> That was 1982!
I do have some questions: What is the bolt pattern? Wheel size 14"? 15"? What wheel bearings do the Packards take? A-2/A-6?
I would also need a couple of things. I would need a spindle/knuckle, and a hub and a brake drum. All of which could or would be returned once done. One other thing, I would also need a "volunteer" to do some testing.

This would most likely take about 3-6 months to get them in production.

Jim Turner
"

Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Just got home from Rockford Ill. visiting my Dad. I also received an email
from Kevin Waltman in regards to disc brakes for the mighty Packards!
It would be something I would interested in doing.
I would need a few things, I am not that familiar with Packards, so I'll try
not to "embarass" myself!
I would need a spindle and a knuckle, for mock up. I would also need a hub
and a drum, I'd prefer a drum that is junk, as I would just need
measurements, and the HUB! (with bearings if possible)
What bearings do the Packards take? A-2/A-6 like Studebakers? I don't know !
I would also need a "strong" commitment for 20-25 kits.
As far as price, I couldn't tell you an exact one, but, I would suspect,
"about" the same as the Studebaker ones I have been making for over 25
years!
Also, what bolt pattern does a Packard have?

This is a response that I received from Turner Brakes. Anyone have any spares that he said that he might need to mock up a system as I have only what is on my car.
Rowdy

Posted on: 2008/1/7 0:16
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I guess we need to try to get a list of the bolt patterns between 51-56. I know my 54 Clipper is 4.5" spacing measured center of lug to center of opposite lug.

Everone measure there spacing so we can figure this out. Also we need to get the bearings number used across all the years in question.

I guess if we could find a listing for the aftermarket replacement bearings. We could see if they were the same across all the years.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 1:34
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I get 4-1/4 to 4-9/32 inchs on my very original 5672 wheelbolt pattern. 56 Executive w /power steering.

I'm not sure what this "A2/A6" bearing nomenclature is all about. Bearings usualy have a part number of the form
" MFG x...x ". NOT just two characters. When did this start???

As for testing i will volunteer if noone else wants to volunteer. I'm available mostly 24-7 and my car is not rusty so disassebly and assembly is ez. I have good working conditions and heated and air conditioned shop. In fact, the car is rarely more than 100 feet away from me 24-7. Usualy in the basement while i'm making "adjustments" to it or on the road. I have a two acre field here in front of the house for preliminary testing and easy access to open rural Interstate hwy where i can run 80 mph and faster no problem with very little traffic.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 11:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If anyone wants to bring their parts for testing on my car i have a another house 2 miles away up in town by the Post Office that they can stay in for free of course. It's vacant, furnished and the utilities EXCEPT phone are all on and it's a good house. Maybe a little dusty but that's the worst of it. 1000 sq ft and two bedroom which should be Big enuf two or three people.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 11:43
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you sure it's not 4.5 on the bolt pattern? It should either be 4.5, 4.75, or 5.

Here is a link that may help:

http://www.mrt-wheels.com/boltpattern.html

Posted on: 2008/1/7 11:52
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll try to post some wheel bearing numbers here sometime tomorrow afternoon or maybe sooner if i can.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 11:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Bill,

The disc kit for your car will cost about 1295.00 and a new hydraboost unit is about 495.00 to 695.00.

Rob

Brake Tech Solutions

1-866-509-7332

I received this back from Brake Tech Solutions, seems as they have a kit for Packard. As for bolt pattern, the Packard Cross Reference has a listing for a 5x5" and a 5x4.5": pattern, also a listing for wheel bearings used.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 12:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Packard v8,
If you are measuring center to center of bolt, this why probably you got the 1/4" measure, when you measure, start on outside edge of first bolt and go to center of bolt , which should be second one going clockwise, and this should give either 4 1/2 or 5 as Packard shows both available. My Executive shows 4 1/2.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 12:09
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved